Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ebrbetty

Favorite Pizza Crust

whats your favorite, closest to the real thing pizza crust? I've tried a few, they're ok, but I still crave a real pizza.

thanks!

~Betty

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Bette Hagman's Easy Pizza Crust recipe... EXCELLENT!!!

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

I buy the Arrowhead Mills Gluten Free Pizza Crust. I've found to be great, but it is extreamly sticky. I actaully end up putting baggies on my hands covered in Pam spray so I can actually spread the crust out onto a pan.

http://www.arrowheadmills.com/products/pro...&cat_id=229

"If I start fighting a war... I guarantee you'll see something new" - Malcolm Reynolds, Serenity

There is a frozen pizza dough , Gillians, I believe. It is great to have on hand when everyone else would like a pizza. The key is massive toppings. :)

Brenda Diagnosed Celiac 2005 Woodville, Massachusetts

I like the Kinnikinnick pizza crusts. They are in the frozen foods section.

Though, I'm lucky enough to have a gluten-free baker in the area, so I usually buy our crusts from her. =)

Jayhawkmom -

Mom of three....

Jay - 11

Bean - 8

Ian - 3

The other day I tried Gluten-Free Pantry's French Bread/Pizza Crust and made a 10 or 12 inch pizza.....it was AWESOME!!! I just topped with Prego 3 Cheese & mozzerella cheese. DS said it tasted like pizza hut. I think that the only thing I would change is that I would add some italian seasoning and parm cheese to the crust mix. :)

Kim

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm

but how to dance in the rain."

Positive bloodwork 1/9/06

gluten-free since 1/12/06

Very positive dietary response

DS (12 years old)

Biopsy 7/7/06 ~ Diagnosed Celiac 7/12/2006

gluten-free since 7/15/2006

DD (almost 6)

HLA-DQ2 positive

Celiac Bloodwork negative 2 different times

Still eating gluten for now.

I have found Kinnickkinick's(sp?) to be pretty good... definitely not bubbly and chewy like traditional pizza crust due to the lack of gluten... but... with the right toppings... still pretty tasty!

Robin L Healey, AFPA-CPT

Venus Bodyworks Personal Training

and Lifestyle Coaching

"Ive transformed my body and others...

are you ready to transform yours?"

I am using a recipe that I think I got from this site that has bean flour and unflavored gelatin in it. I think it is really good; I usually make it with chicken and honey flavored barbecue sauce.

B

I am using a recipe that I think I got from this site that has bean flour and unflavored gelatin in it. I think it is really good; I usually make it with chicken and honey flavored barbecue sauce.

B

\

Found the recipe: (I like it enough that I've stopped looking for anything better. :)

1 T gluten-free dry yeast

2/3 cup garbanzo bean flour

1/2 cup tapioca flour

2 tsp xanthan gum

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp unflavored gelatin powder

1 tsp Italian herb seasoning

2/3 cup warm water (105 degrees)

1/2 tsp sugar or 1/4 tsp honey

1 tsp olive oil

1 tsp cider vinegar

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

In medium mixer bowl using regular beaters (not dough hooks), blend the yeast, flours, xanthan gum, salt, gelatin powder, and Italian herb seasoning on low speed. Add warm water, sugar (or honey), olive oil, and vinegar. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. (If the mixer bounces around the bowl, the dough is too stiff. Add water, if necessary, one tablespoon at a time, until dough does not resist beaters.) The dough will resemble soft bread dough. (You may also mix it in a bread machine on dough setting.) Put mixture into greased 12-inch pizza pan, using buttered hands. Make edges slightly higher to contain toppings.

Bake the pizza crust for 10 minutes. Remove from oven. Spread pizza crust with sauce and toppings. Bake for another 20-25 minutes or until top is nicely browned.

Another vote for Kinnikinnick. I had it for the first time last night and it was fantastic!

ELIZABETH

gluten-free (04.17.2006)

corn-free (03.27.2007)

xanthan gum-free