Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

faegan

Bacterial Overgrowth

Hey.

I think I have a digestive tract problem with too

much bad bacteria moving in and generally being

a giant pain in the arse.

When you take probiotics, do you lose the effect

once you stop taking them.

Is this a problem that just has to settle itself as my

system heals? (I'm gluten-free almost 11 months.)

Should I try to get meds from my dr.?

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

If you have a bacteria overgrowth then you should be treated appropriately for it. You can be tested to confirm an overgrowth.

Rachel

Guest cassidy

I had a 3 day stool test and it showed that I had almost no good bacteria, a bad bacteria, an amoeba and candida overgrowth. I went to a holistic doctor who is an MD. She gave me two antibiotics for the bad bacteria and amoeba and then started me on probiotics. I don't think she would have given me the antibiotics if there was a natural way for my system to get rid of those things because she tries the natural path whenever possible.

So, I agree with Rachel-24 that you should figure out what is going on so you can get treated.

As far as your original question I believe the point of probiotics is to get good bacteria back into your system. I took some strong probiotics after I finished the antibiotics. After two months I stopped taking them and now I drink kefir most days (liquid yogurt with tons of probiotics) but I don't take any probiotics. I haven't had a problem at all. If you take an antibiotic it may kill any good bacteria the probiotics have gotten to grow in your system, so you are back at square one.