Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

plantime

My Very Good Friend

She was 45. She was diagnosed with nonspecific-somethingorother-carcinoma less than a year ago. Last night, she gave up the fight completely and went to heaven.

This hurts me hard. I moved around all my childhood, and the last ten years I have lived in this same house, and had the same friends. Now I have lost one to a disease. I am angry at the disease. I feel like my anger is irrational, since a disease is not a living being. But I am angry, nonetheless. It stole a beautiful, vibrant woman from her loved ones.

Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Dear Dessa, I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. It is very hard to lose a dear friend. A friend wrote these words to my husband after his father died. I found a kind of peace from these words. "Her work on earth was done and now she is in a better place." Cherish the happy memories in your heart that you had with your friend. Take Care. Wendy

{{{{HUGS}}}} She does live on, in a sense, in the wonderful memories you carry in your heart. Not the same, I know, and not much comfort right now. You might try writing down a lot of your memories of her right now; memories sometimes fade with time. Also, her family might be comforted by your memories.

My heartfelt sympathies go out to you.

luvs2eat

Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas

positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy

diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day

Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

Dessa- ((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))))))). I'm so sorry. It's so hard to lose a good friend.

Being angry is not irrational. Especially at a disease. I think you'll find a lot of us HATE cancer. You may even find yourself angry at your friend, and that's normal too. Let yourself feel what you're feeling. Hugs, B

Beverly

Gluten free since 2005

In the midst of winter, I found there was within me an invincible summer.

Albert Careb

36_35_6[1].gif

Dessa,

That is devastating, I am so sorry for your loss.

No it is not irrational to be mad at the disease - in fact it makes complete sense to me!

Nothing much ever makes sense at times like this.

{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}

sandy

Sandy

Type 1 diabetes - 1986

hypothyroid -1993

pernicious anemia

premature atrial beats

neuropathy

retinopathy

daughter is: age 15

central hypotonia and developmental delay

balance issues (rides an adult 3 wheel bike)

hypothyroid 1996

dermatographia - a form of angioedema 2002

celiac 2004 - by endoscopy

diagnosed Aspergers at age 7 - responded very well (HUGE difference) to gluten-free diet

recovered from Kawasaki (2003)

lactose intolerant - figured out in Oct/06

Gilberts syndrome (April/07)

allergy to stinging insects

scoliosis Jan 2008

nightshade intolerance - figured out April 2008

allergy to Sulfa antibiotics

son is 13

type 1 diabetic - 2003 diagnosed on his 9th birthday

celiac - 2004 by endoscopy

lactose intolerant - figured out Nov/06

Dessa,

I'm so very sorry. A warm hug to you.

I think it's quite natural for you to hate her disease--it took your friend from you. Please take care.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

I believe when we die, we go to a much better place and everyone is 26 and painless. Angels are with her and she will always be with you.

Deb

Deb

Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

I'm so very sorry! Anger is a natural stage of mourning and healing!

I'm so sorry for your loss. Being angry is totally normal and completely rational.

I'm praying for you and all of her family and friends as you go through this time. I wish I could say something to help make it better.

:(

Nancy

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.

~Chinese Proverb

I'm sorry you lost your friend. Being angry at a disease is fine, there's not a thing wrong with it. If you were mad at your friend or a "living being" over it, that would be irrational. It's perfectly normal to hate cancer, we all do.

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

I am so sorry for your loss; my deepest sympathies to you...

Gluten-free since 10/05 - Positive dietary response with Doctor's validation! - Debilitating migraines, constant dizziness and lightheadedness gone; anxiety & panic attacks, depression, agoraphobia and extreme exhaustion considerably lessoned

Dairy/Casein Intolerant

Soy, Cabbage, Sugar, Peanut, Shellfish, Caffeine, Egg, Potato and Tomato allergies / intolerances

Sporadic reactions to: Poultry

Avoiding all preservatives and additives

Also Multiple Chemical/Environmental Sensitivities

Mitral Valve Prolapse

Pulmonary Embolism - 1999

Dance, when you're broken open.

Dance, if you've torn the bandage off.

Dance in the middle of fighting.

Dance in your blood.

Dance, when you are perfectly free.

RUMI

I am so sorry to hear about your friend. I know it hurt but think of the good times. One of the things that helps me when loved ones/friend pass is if they were fighting a disease that they no longer are suffering. There is no more pain. It helps me come to terms a little easier.

***HUGS****

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif

So sorry to hear of your loss. Sometimes I think life is just unfair.. I know that sounds selfish too, but it hurts so much. I know your friend is in a better place now, no more disease. I hope you find comfort soon

Stephanie

Gluten free since October 05

son born severly premature due to

celiac

"True love stories never end" Richard Bach

"Did you ever stop thinking and forget to start again?" AA Milne

If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you" AA Milne

Swimming Instructor #2 and Town Crier of Rachelville

I know only too well what you are going through. (((((((Hugs)))))))

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Dessa, I am very sorry you lost your friend. I will pray for you.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dessa, I'm so sorry you lost your friend. Anger is a very normal reaction and part of the grieving process.

When I've lost someone I love, I try and think of this little verse I found somewhere.

On the heavens in Shining stars

On the earth in Tender Flowers

The ones you love will live on forever.

Hang in there, we are all thinking of you.

Shirley

[save the Earth, It's the only planet with chocolate and wine.

It isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...

It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Gluten free since 1989

West Kootenay.... British Columbia

Dessa,

I'm sorry for your loss. :(

I would be very angry at any disease which took a loved one from me....its perfectly normal to feel this way. You're friend is in a better place and she'll always be in your heart.

Rachel

One of the things that helps me when loved ones/friend pass is if they were fighting a disease that they no longer are suffering. There is no more pain.

I totally agree with this. I lost my dad to cancer 3 weeks ago and although he was 78 and not as young as your friend, it helped to think about the pain he was in that he wasn't anymore. It's always harder for those of us who are left.

Cherish the memories and give yourself time to grieve. It is normal to be angry. I was too. My father was the first person with cancer I've ever dealt with. It seems that cancer is all around now but I realize it has been for a long time, it's just my awareness of it has expanded.

HUGS.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

Oh Dessa, may I offer my sympathy also on the death of you friend. :( Cancer has taken many in my family.....a wicked, evil disease.

SUSIE

Diagnosed January 2006

"I like nonsense. It wakes up the brain cells." ~Dr. Seuss

Dessa

Truly sorry for your loss of your friend. It's hard not to be angry at life, God, the world, etc. when bad stuff happens. Sometimes the anger overshadows the sorrow and perhaps that's a coping mechanism. I hope your anger fades quickly and your good memories overshadow your grief.

Debbe

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003