Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tash_n_tail

Coping Mechanisims?

I "poisoned" myself this week having a small bar of chocolate as a treat -- could swear I've not reacted to the stuff before but there was no denying the breathing difficulties, swollen ankles, stomach pains and bathroom visits. I've been very disciplined and follow a strict elimination diet since Easter of 2006. I've been completely wheat and gluten free since October last year.

Does anyone have tips on coping with the emotional mood swings that go with this complaint. I find that 24 hours after being exposed to gluten I am a not only physically unwell but for days I'm so volatile that I want a holiday away from myself. Since I'm gluing myself back together and focusing on completing my studies and getting my career on track again. Actually surviving such an episode and not climbing into bed and waiting my way thru' the experience for a few weeks would be an advantage.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I think you deserve kudos for realising that you have these mood swings.

I just make life hell for anybody within a 3 mile radius, My 17 year old said "it

Diagnosed as an infant failing to thrive 40 years ago. Followed diet for 17 years more or less then quit. 20 odd years later after constant illnesses and reading this forum gone back to gluten-free with my tail between my legs.

Guest cassidy

I don't know how bad your mood swings are but gluten gives me anxiety to the point of getting paranoid sometimes. I take xanax after I'm glutened and it really helps with those symptoms. It is much harder to deal with physically not feeling well if you are mentally a mess as well. I like xanax because it works within 20 minutes and doesn't make me feel funny at all, just normal again. I never both taking medicine for the physical symptoms but I definitely prefer it for the mental ones.

Other than that, I guess realizing that you are having mood swings is the best that you can do. I try to warn my husband and those around me so they can tell me if I'm acting strange and I can try to calm down and realize it is the gluten that is making me react a certain way.

Very good advice from both. The one thing we must remember is--this too will pass. I do not think I ever lashed out at others, I have been accused of holding too much inside and making myself crazy!

Deb

Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

• Celiac.com Sponsors (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    AshokPrajapat
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Who's Online (See full list)