Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rebz

Results Confusion

Hi

I'm confused - positive blood results except endomysium IgA which is negative.

Have read loads of stuff about 'positive predictive value' etc and seems to be conflict between positive IgA tTG and negative IgA endomysium. Any ideas what this means. Gluten sensitive or not ?

Thank you

Rebz

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

In real life, often celiacs will only hve one of these tests show up positive. I found some abstracts on that at medline.

www.pubmed.com

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...l=pubmed_docsum

but there have been people here who only had one of them positive aand they were diagnoses and ogt better on a gluten-fre diet.

gluten-free since may 06 after neg. biopsy symptoms went away and DH symptoms which I had since 03 got gradually better.

daughter officially diagnosed celiac and casein intolerant.

non-DQ2 or DQ8. Maybe DQ1? Updated: Yes, double DQ5

Hypothyroid since 2000, thyroxine first started to work well 06 on a low-carb and gluten-free diet

Lost 20 kg after going gluten-free and weighing 53 kg now. neg. biopsy for DH. Found out afterwards from this forum that it should have been taken during an outbreak but it was taken two weeks after. vitaminD was 57 nmol/l in may08)

My daughter was barely positive on anti-endomesial antibodies, doctor called it borderline. Yet in biopsy her intestine was conclusive for celiac - flattened villi and other characteristic changes for celiac.

response to diet is affirmation in itself.... bloos tests can have false negatives.

Sandy

Sandy

Type 1 diabetes - 1986

hypothyroid -1993

pernicious anemia

premature atrial beats

neuropathy

retinopathy

daughter is: age 15

central hypotonia and developmental delay

balance issues (rides an adult 3 wheel bike)

hypothyroid 1996

dermatographia - a form of angioedema 2002

celiac 2004 - by endoscopy

diagnosed Aspergers at age 7 - responded very well (HUGE difference) to gluten-free diet

recovered from Kawasaki (2003)

lactose intolerant - figured out in Oct/06

Gilberts syndrome (April/07)

allergy to stinging insects

scoliosis Jan 2008

nightshade intolerance - figured out April 2008

allergy to Sulfa antibiotics

son is 13

type 1 diabetic - 2003 diagnosed on his 9th birthday

celiac - 2004 by endoscopy

lactose intolerant - figured out Nov/06

thanks for the replies

I guess I am hoping for a negative biopsy and clutching at anything that might indicate that the other results were non-specific or false positives.

I guess its a matter of not feeling ill and thinking of the foods I'll have to find alteratives too. I have a child with a severe nut allergy and that seemed a struggle at the start but now its fine - you adapt and find alternatives.

thanks again

rebz :rolleyes: