Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest j_mommy

Vinegar

Guest j_mommy

Is vinegar ok????

on the back all it says is distilled grains??? how am I to know which grains???? Does anyone know of a safe vinegar???

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

distillation removes the very large gluten protein from the distillate that is left over for vinegar (or alcohol, for that matter). it's fine. besides that, vinegar, when on an ingredient label in a food by itself, must - by law - refer to apple cider vinegar, which isn't made from grains. "grain vinegar" can come from wheat - or corn or a number of other grains.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

Just stay away from malt vineager or flavored vineagers (not all are, but causious advise).

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Guest j_mommy

Great!!! Thanks you guys!!!!! Going grocery shopping tomorrow...didn't want to have a meltdown in the store!LOL

Heinz distilled white vinager is derived from corn but many are not, just the word vinager in a label means it has to be derived from apples. I react to distilled grains the same as I do gluten foods, not all do, so I make sure to call the company to make sure that the grain in the vinager is corn or wood derived and not wheat.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)