Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Mama

Do I Really Need Separate Cutting Boards & Cooking Utensils?

I'm thinking I should get rid of my old wooden cutting board with the splits running through it, and also buy new wooden spoons (and only use them for gluten-free -- no more wheat noodles or other things we'd need to stir). I'm also getting a separate toaster.

But if I buy a new hard plastic cutting board, our metal and plastic colanders are scrubbed out well (and not used for gluten stuff again) and our knives are stainless steel with hard plastic handles, do we really need two sets of everything?

And am I forgetting anything?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I'm thinking I should get rid of my old wooden cutting board with the splits running through it, and also buy new wooden spoons (and only using them for gluten-free -- no more wheat noodles or other things we'd need to stir).

But if I buy a hard plastic cutting board, our colanders are scrubbed out well (and not used for gluten stuff again) and our knives are stainless steel with hard plastic handles, do we really need two sets of everything?

Hi New Mama :)

You do need to replace the cutting board, wooden utensils and the colander. The wood can hold gluten--and no matter how well you wash the colander, it's nearly impossible to get all of the gluten out of the little holes.

We hear stories quite commonly where people get glutened by using a colander previously used for regular pasta.

The stainless knives are fine.

Don't forget to replace your toaster ;)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

For cutting things, I always use a paper plate. If I am doing a lot of cutting, I might slip a cutting board underneath, just to be safe. I've used this method for years. I just throw the plate away and am done with it.