This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help.

uhmanduh

uhmanduh Newbie

I still eat gluten quite a bit...I mean there is a lot i cut back on...but still its way hard for me. I really don't get any pains or anything often enough to make me stop.

ONe thing I am worried about is if I'm going to be able to have kids and such. I'm moving out tomorrow from my parents house and I really want to try to not have much gluten at all. But its also hard since even fried foods are bad and I feel its hard to diet on gluten free foods like all the good cereals I can't eat. I wish I could understand how you are all gluten free. I'm moving in with my boyfriend too, who can eat gluten so that also makes it harder. Do yall ever just give in and eat it even though you know its bad...?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lob6796 Contributor
I still eat gluten quite a bit...I mean there is a lot i cut back on...but still its way hard for me. I really don't get any pains or anything often enough to make me stop.

ONe thing I am worried about is if I'm going to be able to have kids and such. I'm moving out tomorrow from my parents house and I really want to try to not have much gluten at all. But its also hard since even fried foods are bad and I feel its hard to diet on gluten free foods like all the good cereals I can't eat. I wish I could understand how you are all gluten free. I'm moving in with my boyfriend too, who can eat gluten so that also makes it harder. Do yall ever just give in and eat it even though you know its bad...?

In a word - NO. You NEED to be on the gluten free diet. That means no cheating. You might not feel the symptoms so much, but the amount of damage you are doing to your intestines is enormous. It will make it hard for you to get pregnant, and there is a high risk of miscarriage and fetal injury if you are not gluten free. You are so young, and this is the time to cut gluten out. Do it now before it causes related issues that DO effect you symptom-wise and they are things you can't control with a diet. You are setting yourself up for cancer, diabetes, nerve damage, heart disease, and more. Gluten free isn't a choice. If you had another disease, and the treatment was a medication that made your stomach hurt - would you still take the medicine? Of course you would, because if you didn't, you would be destroying part of your body. This is the same thing. I know it sounds like a "diet" but it is a treatment for a serious medical condition.

And you don't have to give up fried foods! There are plenty of gluten free batter mixes at the store - buy some, and fry yourself up some chicken fingers, french fries, or onion rings! All you need to do is buy one of those Fry Daddy Juniors to keep at your boyfriend's place and be sure he never uses it to fry gluten stuff in. And there are a ton of cereals out there that are gluten free. Yummy ones! they make gluten free lucky charm-type cereal, Cocoa Pebbles are naturally gluten free, they have gluten free reece's peanut butter cup-type cereal, sugar smack-type cereal, the whole line. Check out your health food store, and if it isn't in stock, tell them what kind of cereal you are looking for and they can order it for you! Do you have a Hannaford's near you? They have booklets at the customer service desk with all of their gluten free products in it. And it is a hefty booklet. Lots of foods. Frozen tv dinners even! Check your local grocery store and ask if they have a gluten free brochure, and if not, still check out their health food section. Gluten free is a change, but it doesn't mean you have to eat rabbit food - you can have pizza (gluten free crusts! found in mix form or frozen at your health food store!), fries, breads, etc.

I'm pulling for you, I hope you make the change. It is for your health and your future and the future of any children you might decide to have. Good luck!

confusedks Enthusiast

Hello. I am on a gluten-free diet and we don't know if I have celiac or not (long story). I went "gluten light" for awhile and I didn't notice much of a difference with how I felt. Then my doctor told me to go strictly gluten-free so I did. I was gluten-free for about a week and I toasted a piece of gluten-free bread in the gluten ridden toaster and got glutened!!! I felt ssssoo bad I was in bed for hours and had D for about a day. This was JUST from cc not even a regular piece of bread! My point is that you usually don't realize how much gluten is affecting you until its ALL gone and you get glutened. Also I am a teen and live in a gluten ridden house. (I'm the only gluten-free out of 3 people) it has its challenges but its totally manageable. We eat really healthy simple dinners that are naturally gluten-free like steak and a potato and a salad. Of course I use gluten-free dressing. My mom just makes a salad and doesn't dress it so we can all out our own dressing on it. Again, you will need to make your mind up about going gluten-free but it does do major damage to your body!! When celiacs keep eating gluten, your chance of getting cancer increases from 40 to 100%. So I hope you're able to do this. Good luck!!

Lollipop Newbie

I am on the three month trial diet and have been on it for about four weeks. I have been strictly gluten free but I have a hard time finding good things to eat for breakfast. Before the gluten-free diet I ate cereals like raisin nut bran and frosted mini wheats. I need something quick and easy, so that's why I like cereal so much, and I'm not a huge fan of eggs or toast. Some days I would just skip breakfast, but then my stomach would hurt from the hunger. Do you know if they have any cereal other than the sugary kind that is gluten free? Even something kind of like frosted flakes?

Thanks,

Becca

Lollipop Newbie

Sorry, I accidentally double posted.

Becca

sweetstronggoddessgirl1325 Newbie

Hey: to the girl who still eats gluten....hunny all of us want to cheat at some point...but we can't.

Do you know that by still eating gluten, you are damaging the walls of your stomach?

Think about that! How much is your health worth to you?...because if you really want to go gluten free, there are definite ways you can do that

*All the best of luck

A girl who's been there

P.S Get and read a book called the Gluten Free Bible by Jax Peters Lowell and you'll understand what I mean

::WantCakeandEatIt2:: Newbie

I totally understand what you're saying. It is so hard to just give up gluten. Especially when everyone around you is eating everything you desperatly want to eat. But, it really is necessary to stop eating gluten. My friend's mother ate gluten all her life with no pains or anything, then all of the sudden she started having night blindness and memory loss. They finally figured out what it was. The good thing is you can avoid a lot of pain and possible problems in your future. You know what the problem is, this is just the treatment. It really is hard, you just have to remember that you have a disease and you have to take care of your body

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

uhmanduh Newbie
I am on the three month trial diet and have been on it for about four weeks. I have been strictly gluten free but I have a hard time finding good things to eat for breakfast. Before the gluten-free diet I ate cereals like raisin nut bran and frosted mini wheats. I need something quick and easy, so that's why I like cereal so much, and I'm not a huge fan of eggs or toast. Some days I would just skip breakfast, but then my stomach would hurt from the hunger. Do you know if they have any cereal other than the sugary kind that is gluten free? Even something kind of like frosted flakes?

Thanks,

Becca

I wish I could help you, but thats my problem too! I'm a huge cereal fan and haven't found too many good gluten free ones. =/

MJS Rookie

becca and uhmanduh:

i find it easy to buy a lot of gluten-free food on the internet. the downside is that you mostly have to buy in bulk.

but i've found some pretty good deals. this one is my favorite (sorry idk how to post links):

Open Original Shared Link .com/gp/product/B000FGZJF...2124238-3024030

it's a rice cereal that's not too sugary, and 6 boxes for about $17. that's better than you would get for regular gluten-containing cereals in grocery stores.

just surf around for a while, you can find some great stuff. everyone in my family loves to eat my cereals even though they're not celiacs (i don't share, though. i'm greedy)

anyway, hope this helps

Archived