Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lulu Magoo

Gluten Free In Iowa

Well this is my first blog and I just wanted to share with everyone what a great time I had at Granite City. I ordered a steak w/out the onion strings and my waiter asked right off the bat if I had celiac disease. I said yes and he was like , well, let me go and ask the chef if you can have anything else. My steak and the potatoes I had with it were gluten free and I also had a small cup of the chilli. It was so nice to go out (it was my bf's bday) and have a real meal with someone special and have my waiter care enough to meet my needs. My tummy is the happiest its been in a couple months:)

Thank you for the posts from everyone else you all have been extremely helpful! :)

Welcome LuLu - As I'm sure you've already determined, you will find a TON of good information here.

Everyone is so friendly and eager to help; and they have a wealth of information.

I see you are from West Des Moines. If you are not already familiar with it, I want to introduce you to our Des Moines support group. We meet every couple of months for a potluck and there are usually about 150 in attendance. We have some of the most fantastic gluten free food there which is fit for a queen. The nicest part, is everyone brings their recipes; and afterwards, our group leader emails (or mails) all the recipes out in a newsletter which recaps what was discussed. There is a kids program for the little celiacs while our leader shares all the latest informatio with us. My husband has been celiac for about 20 years, but I wouldn't miss one for the world. I might miss out on a great recipe. I've gotten some of my best ones from there.

Please post or PM me if you are interested and I will give you all the pertinent information. While the diet seems very limiting, the folks you meet at this group are so gracious, you almost feel normal. A really fun bunch!

Best regards

Kay