Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Luisa2552

Abdo Pain

Hello all,

I am wondering if anyone has experienced what I am. I have had a pain in my upper left abdomen for many, many months. It's what got me into the GI in the first place and started me on the Celiac track. My bloodwork came back positive and my trial gluten-free 10 days or so were amazing. Had my biopsies 10 days ago (i was back on gluten about a month prior to biopsies) ANyway, I've been mostly gluten-free about 10 days. I say mostly because I'm still new to this and I have been making mistakes here and there. Just last night my daughter offered me a bite of her veggie burger and without thinking I tried it! Duh!! The pain in my upper abdomen is still there. The doc said the endoscopy looked clean. Maybe it had nothing to do with celiac disease? Maybe I have to be gluten-free longer? Before I sow the GI I had a abdo. ultrasound and it didn't see anything, so I'm starting to think it's all in my head!??

Another question. I have run across may sites that list gluten-free products. One i was especially interested in was Peets coffee because I feel terrible after having my beloved Mocha so I figured it was something in the syrup. But Peets claims all their syrups are gluten-free. Does that include the artificial colors and flavors in those syrups? Would they know if the source was gluten-free? I read that if they are not form North America, they could have gluten...

It is not in your head, I repeat it is not in your head. The veggie burger is most likely the cause and you may end up experiencing an increase in some of your other gluten related problems too. The best thing I have found for this pain is pepto bismal, name brand. It gets rid of the pain for me in one dose and usually it doesn't return. You may also end up with D within a couple of days, or C if that is how your system reacts.

It is hard at first to get used to and gluten is hidden in so many things. Everything from yogurt to hair dye, orange juice to playdoh, imitation crab to lotions and the list goes on and on. It can be hard but this is a good place to read, ask questions and get knowledge and support.

Meanwhile try not be to hard on yourself and don't forget that nasty gluten can be a neurotoxin so if you seem very anxious or depressed that is part of the reaction and it will pass.

I hope you feel better soon.