Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ridgewalker

Question About Gelatin

Ok, I just spent an unpleasant amount of time staring at Jello in the grocery store. :blink:

Many gluten-free bread recipes I want to try call for "unflavored gelatin." I assume this isn't Jello; I looked, and Jello doesn't make an unflavored variety. Are they talking about pectin, like the stuff you use to make homemade jam? Like Sure-Jell or something?

Thanks in advance!

-Sarah

The only brand of unflavored Gelatin that I've ever had is "Knox Gelatin" and sometimes it's in the Health and Beauty Aids section because it's general use in the past was always for women to grow their nails long! It's not used for that so much anymore (but it does work). My husband picked some up a while back at the supermarket in the baking section. It's in an ORANGE box that's a little bit smaller than a jello box and the box I currently have says "The Original Unflavored Gelatine" (spelled that weird way).

I use it for my bread too.

Franceen

Thanks for the replies, everybody!

I remember now, I've seen Knox gelatin before.... but I definitely didn't see it last night, and got totally confused as to what the heck these recipes were talking about!

-Sarah

Yup..it's totally colorless and flavorless and it's on the baking isle :lol:

good luck!!