Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cath4k

Mri Question

This may be a dumb question, but we are pretty new to living gluten-free. My dd had to have an MRI today and they gave her a solution by injection for contrast. Do any of you know if it is gluten free?

The brand name is Multihance and it is gadobenate dimeglumine. I tried to search the internet for info about it, but wasn't coming up with anything to determine if it is gluten free. I have no idea how it is manufactured.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Cathy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I dont find any evidence that it has gluten - mos contrasts agents for MRI have to be fairly "pure" so that nothing interferes with uptake by plasma/cell proteins.

There were conflicting articles about its safety...but the most recent one discussed safety with pediatric and adult patients being similar.

Sandy

Sandy

Type 1 diabetes - 1986

hypothyroid -1993

pernicious anemia

premature atrial beats

neuropathy

retinopathy

daughter is: age 15

central hypotonia and developmental delay

balance issues (rides an adult 3 wheel bike)

hypothyroid 1996

dermatographia - a form of angioedema 2002

celiac 2004 - by endoscopy

diagnosed Aspergers at age 7 - responded very well (HUGE difference) to gluten-free diet

recovered from Kawasaki (2003)

lactose intolerant - figured out in Oct/06

Gilberts syndrome (April/07)

allergy to stinging insects

scoliosis Jan 2008

nightshade intolerance - figured out April 2008

allergy to Sulfa antibiotics

son is 13

type 1 diabetic - 2003 diagnosed on his 9th birthday

celiac - 2004 by endoscopy

lactose intolerant - figured out Nov/06

I believe it is gluten free, but most contrast agents for MRI have a derivative from shellfish. If yours had one, the forms they made you sign would have included a statement with an allergy warning, so you would have read it (because you do read all those forms, right?).

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

I've had many MRI's and have never had a problem with the IV solution. When I Googled Multihance, I found out that it was made by Bracco Diagnostics. You can call their Customer Service Department at 800-257-5181.

I hope everything came out o.k. with dd on the scan.

Cindy

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease April 2005

Diabetic

Wait, some are derived from shellfish?! Are you serious!? i have had 2 and never have we seen anything about that! I am allergic to shellfish, so I guess there wasn't any in the contrast solutions they used on me.

Kassandra

Dairy/Casein Free- March 2007

Gluten Free- May 2007

Soy Free- August 2007

Sugar Free- January 2008

Starch Free- January 2008

Egg Free (again!)- February 2008

Sulfur Free- May 2008

Dx'd Lyme Disease and co-infections- December 2007

Wait, some are derived from shellfish?! Are you serious!? i have had 2 and never have we seen anything about that! I am allergic to shellfish, so I guess there wasn't any in the contrast solutions they used on me.

Kassandra

They will have you sign a release form that specifically talks about the shellfish allergy issue if they are using a contrast agent derived from shellfish. Not all of them have it, just some of them. Both times I've had contrast agent used, it was that kind and they were *very* clear about it and the allergy risk (and the folks there noted that not all kinds do have it).

If they already knew you had a shellfish allergy, they would have ordered one that was safe for you.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA