• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

haleysue

In The Army And Over Seas With Celiac/dh. Help

Rate this topic

I recieved this red rash on my elbow during my first deployment to iraq 05-06 now after using creams im covered HEAD TO TOE with these spots that hurts and burns. ITCHES BADLY. So, the doc at the hospital back inthe states looked at me and said that i had psoriasis. That was the day before i left to came back ti iraq. So when i got hree it got worse. So we all believe it is. WEll, fighting for my right ot get the meds i need they finaly order embrel for me. It came down to them sending me home just for them to get it over here. So im waiting for the shots to get here. I think this will be the first for embrel to be over here in the country (iraq). My mom has been sick for a while. Come to find out she was diagnosed with celiac spury. So, she told me to get tested. So a few days ago I went to the docs to let them know. He said they will have to send me home to get tesed. That means back to th estates. I haven heard anything about it so I went back to thedocs today. They told me to come back in the morning. So, my mom and dad (civilian doc) have been looking up on it and said it causes Dermatoligst heperfomitist, something like that, aka DH. IT describes all the signds and looks of what I have. Anyways, come to think of it the docs are treating for psoriasis and I havent even been medicaly diagnosed with it. No blood work or biops. HHHHMMMMM. So my civilian doc and parents tell me NOT to take the shot embrel. My mom doesnt want me to be a ginny pig. Also all we eat here isnt gluten free stuff. So, im headed to the doc in a few and I just dont know how to pushthis matter with them. I think they should have already tested me. I went to see doc for that reason and i got no response exsept for the fact they would have to send me home for the test. Well, I need actions not just words. SO. is my family and I making a big deal over nothing or should I get tested for DH and Celiac before I start any meds for my so called psoriasis? My parents read in the Gluten free bible that it is commonly mistaken for psoriasis , exema and other various skin dieases.

so what should I do? Just let them do what they want to do or stand up and push for some actions emediately? Please help. Its hard to handle thison my own overseas and my parents are trying and just dont know what to do. SO EVERYONES opinion will help me stand up and fight for whats right. It will helpmy family too. Thanks. SPC CARROLL, HALEY S. With HHC, 1 STB, 1BCT 101st ABN DIV stationed out of FT. Campbell K.Y. GOD BLESS

You are in a real tough spot. Do not let them give you something like embrel, it is not the proper med and it will mess with your immune system. That is if you have a choice. I realize if your command orders you to take it you have to. If they have to medicate you the drug you need is most likely dapsone, (but then of course they would have to recognize it as celiac, something they may be reluctant to do) although this will not stop the other immune mediated problems that go with celiac it will heal the sores.

The military is not real good at looking for celiac, they missed it in me 30 years ago and they missed it in my son in 2001. He was not diagnosed until he had gotten an early discharge for health problems that turned out to be celiac. My son is a neuropredominent celiac and his not being diagnosed almost cost not only his life but the lives of others when they started him on hoards of drugs. Fortunately he was hospitalized when they gave him the one the made him psychotic.

You say your Dad is a doctor, I would recommend that he get as much info on celiac as he can and get it to your command fast. Your base chaplin should be able to help with this if needed Make sure he also includes the neurotoxic effects, if he googles gluten and neurological effects lots will come up. If your condition excaberates while over there, very likely with the stress you are under now, it could hit you in unexpected ways. Your command might actually listen if they have the knowledge that this could impair you in ways that would be dangerous not only to you but to your unit.

Good luck and thank you for your service. Once you are diagnosed you will be discharged, being discharged hit my DS very hard, he felt that he failed somehow. Please realize you have no control over this.