Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sickchick

Sheep Or Goat Milk

Hey~ Am now dairy free and wondering if anyone knows if I can drink either of these?

I am so bummed I found this yummy almond cheese and it has casein in it. rats :lol:

hungryhungry

sickchick

Collette

Positive Bloodwork Oct 1st 2007. Gluten-free 3 YEARS Oct 1st!

Dairy & Soy free since Dec 1st 2007.

Potato free since January 3rd 2008.

Remaining Nightshades since April 1st 2008. Back on September 2010. :)

Developed Rice & Tapioca & Corn Intolerances...

NO Carageenan.

In a constant state of evolution... sending love! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hey~ Am now dairy free and wondering if anyone knows if I can drink either of these?

I am so bummed I found this yummy almond cheese and it has casein in it. rats :lol:

hungryhungry

sickchick

I am dairy free as well and goat and sheep cheese seem to be easier on my stomach if I eat in small quantities. There are some great goat cheeses out there that are similar to colby jack and other cheeses so you can try to make a pizza. Also pecorino is from sheep's milk. It is more like a romano or parmesan. The cheese is a little tangier, but I have really enjoyed it.

If that goes well for you, there is a company called Laloo that sells goat's milk ice cream. It is delicious!

Terri

Diary free 11/06-6/08

Now using a small amount of low-lactose dairy such as aged cheeses and yogurt. Yum!

Gluten-free since 4/07

"When you row another person across the river, you get there yourself."

- Fortune Cookie

There are some great goat cheeses out there that are similar to colby jack and other cheeses so you can try to make a pizza. Also pecorino is from sheep's milk. It is more like a romano or parmesan. The cheese is a little tangier, but I have really enjoyed it.

If that goes well for you, there is a company called Laloo that sells goat's milk ice cream. It is delicious!

Terri

I have been looking at my small town grocer but no luck even checked out Wal-Mart and again no goat anything. Where are you getting these cheeses?

Yellow Rose

27 years of misdiognoses

seziures summer of 1979 lasted 10 years had maybe a dozen in that time Dr.s never could find what was causing them blamed it on lack of sleep and maybe nutrasweet

rheumatoid arthritis May 1980

wrist joint replacement Jan 1984

fibromyalgia May 1980

insomnia since the 80's

diarrhea 1995-2000 blamed on arthritis meds

Crohn's 1998 after two operations to fix fissures caused by the diarrhea

Other symptons over the last 27 years that have been treated for symptoms not causes:

depression, anemia, constipation, tooth discoloration, tremors in hands, tingling and numbness in feet and hands, fatigue, high blood pressure due to arthritus meds, flushing in face, severe muscle pain and thinking I was going crazy thanks to Dr.'s attitudes.

After diognoses my mother tells me I have an aunt and a cousin with Celiac. Mother tested negative but thinks she is intolerant to wheat and is changing her diet.

Suspect all three of my children have it as well but still trying to convince them to go get tested.

In answer to my prayer, "Lord Please Heal My Broken Body". May 2007 Celiac antibody test positive

Matthew 7: 8 Ask and ye shall receive, Seek and ye shall find, Knock and it shall be opened unto you.

I have had small quantities of goat's milk products and not reacted. Sheep's milk cheeses seem to bother me.

I have heard that the casein content in goat's milk varies. So one cheese might be OK and another makes you sick. The last time I had a goat's milk cheese (for a recipe that really needs something to hold it together and I was stumped for another answer) I didn't have that much, but I felt bad. So I am reluctant to continue experimenting.

It really is individual. If you search, you can see that this topic has come up before. Some can tolerate these products, some can't. Some react like I do, variably.

But if you are talking about regularly drinking the milk as your dairy substitute, I think it would be better to go with a completely nondairy source.

McDougall diet (low fat vegan) since 6/00

Gluten free since 1/6/07

Soy free and completely casein and egg free since 2/15/07

Yeast free, on and off, since 3/1/07 -- I can't notice any difference one way or the other

Enterolab results -- 2/15/07

Fecal Antigliladin IgA 140 (Normal Range <10 units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 50 (Normal Range <10 units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 517 (Normal Range <300 units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 127 (Normal Range <10 units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0501

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 06xx

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (subtype 5,6)

Fecal anti-ovalbumin (chicken egg) IgA antibody 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae (dietary yeast) IgA 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 119 (Normal Range < 10 units)

I had tried goat's milk in pumpkin pie, and got sick, but that *may* have been from potatoes eaten around the same time. It's something I'm going to have to test in the future.

Coconut milk is a good dairy substitute for baking. I like rice milk for the occassional cereal or fruit smoothy. Almond milk is also really, really good, but some contain soy and I'm not eating that right now either.

"I'm not telling you it's going to be easy. I'm telling you it's going to be worth it." - Art Williams

Currently gluten-, casein-, soy- and nightshade-free.

I've tried both sheep milk yogurt and goat milk yogurt recently (after being casein free for over a year), and I react to both. The goat milk seems worse than the sheep milk. I get some mild symptoms right away, but it has a cumulative effect with me, and if I keep eating it, it turns to major congestion and sinus infections. I was completely clear of sinus issues for the whole year I was casein free.

I have been looking at my small town grocer but no luck even checked out Wal-Mart and again no goat anything. Where are you getting these cheeses?

Yellow Rose

I get mine at the health food store. When I shop today I will look at the brand for you. I don't have any right now!

Terri

Diary free 11/06-6/08

Now using a small amount of low-lactose dairy such as aged cheeses and yogurt. Yum!

Gluten-free since 4/07

- Fortune Cookie

hungryhungry

sickchick

If you're going to try a goat or sheep milk cheese, try to make sure it's made from raw cheese, not pasteurized cheese. A lot of people tolerate raw dairy much better than pasteurized. It's also far healthier. And the raw milk hard cheeses last FOREVER in the fridge.

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

Thanks for the replies you guys!!:)

I bought some goat milk and I love the flavor of it. I don't seem to have any reaction to it, I will have more over the holiday and be able to tell for sure.

I am excited pecorino is made with sheep milk. I love pecorino cheese, and I am feeling a little frustratred with the lack of any alternatives I am able to find. I can eat Chevre. But who wants to put Chevre on a pizza? ;)

I saw that colby one but the back says it contains "milk" so that made me even more confused. lol :lol:

the back of the label says "goat milk, rennet and salt" then "allergy warning:contains milk"

cow's milk?

Oh my Mom found me a can of Evaporated Goat Milk @ the Super Walmart in the baking section so it's out there I think it depends on the store and location:)

MUAH!

sickchick

Collette

NO Carageenan.

Thanks for the replies you guys!!:)

I bought some goat milk and I love the flavor of it. I don't seem to have any reaction to it, I will have more over the holiday and be able to tell for sure.

I am excited pecorino is made with sheep milk. I love pecorino cheese, and I am feeling a little frustratred with the lack of any alternatives I am able to find. I can eat Chevre. But who wants to put Chevre on a pizza? ;)

I saw that colby one but the back says it contains "milk" so that made me even more confused. lol :lol:

the back of the label says "goat milk, rennet and salt" then "allergy warning:contains milk"

cow's milk?

Oh my Mom found me a can of Evaporated Goat Milk @ the Super Walmart in the baking section so it's out there I think it depends on the store and location:)

MUAH!

sickchick

I don't think it means cow milk, I think it's just a dairy warning for the IQ impaired who can't figure out cheese contains milk. You know, like the box of Wheaties says "contains wheat". Ya think?

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

:lol: FUNNY

Collette

NO Carageenan.

Yellow Rose

I forgot to get back on here and post the name of the goat cheese that I love!! It is from the Mt. Sterling Creamery in Wisconsin. They make a variety of goat cheeses that come in a brick and can be used to replace brick cow's cheese if you can tolerate the goat milk. I can't tolerate dairy in any quantity, and small amounts of goat cheese/ice cream are ok. I hope you can find it, or something like it!

Terri

Diary free 11/06-6/08

Gluten-free since 4/07

- Fortune Cookie