Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

star star

What Do Elisa Test Results Mean?

I had an ELISA igg (I think) food allergy test done a few weeks ago, and I just found out the results. I'm abroad right now and my parents read the results out to me over the phone, so I don't have them in front of me. I won't see my doctor until March and it would cost me $90-120 to discuss them with him over the phone.. so.... this is where I need your help.

The food allergies are ranked from * for least severe to *** for most severe. Among other things, I got *** for wheat (there was a number of around .55 but I don't know what that means because I don't have the results in front of me) and ** for gluten.

Does this mean I have Celiacs disease? Is a wheat allergy automatically Celiacs disease, or can you just have a wheat allergy without Celiacs disease? Should I stop eating wheat entirely?

Thanks...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I had an ELISA igg (I think) food allergy test done a few weeks ago, and I just found out the results. I'm abroad right now and my parents read the results out to me over the phone, so I don't have them in front of me. I won't see my doctor until March and it would cost me $90-120 to discuss them with him over the phone.. so.... this is where I need your help.

The food allergies are ranked from * for least severe to *** for most severe. Among other things, I got *** for wheat (there was a number of around .55 but I don't know what that means because I don't have the results in front of me) and ** for gluten.

Does this mean I have Celiacs disease? Is a wheat allergy automatically Celiacs disease, or can you just have a wheat allergy without Celiacs disease? Should I stop eating wheat entirely?

Thanks...

The Elisa test is to indicate how allergic you are to a food. I'm not sure how accurate the test is and I am not an expert but this is what I've picked up from this fantastic site.

Intolerance is a different thing to allergy and celiac disease is tested with several different tests plus endoscopic biopsy to show intestinal damage. Gluten and other food intolerance can be tested for with stool tests such as the service at Enterolab.

On the face of your 'results' it would seem that you had a posative reaction to wheat and lesser to gluten. I have a friend who has a wheat, barley, rye allergy which makes her suffer from hives, swelling and breathing difficulties if she accidentally has anything with it in. This means she follows a 'gluten free' diet but can have gluten-free oatmeal but not grain alcohol. She is not celiac or gluten intolerant but allergic to those grains. Some poeple have grain allergies and celiac or gluten sensitivity but you would need to see a doctor or get other testing.

Do you react badly to wheat? If you do want to get tested for celiac by conventional means you must stay on the gluten inclusive diet or the results will almost certainly be negative. If you do have a bad reaction to wheat you should at least carry Benadryl with you in case. My dr also gave me an epi-pen after I had a bad reaction to wheat/soy ingestion (i am self-diagnosed gluten sensitive and gluten-free for 3months).

Take care. Gwen

gluten free 11/1/07

CF, SF, 02/08

posative Enterolab results 3/11/08

HLA-DQB1, Allele 0303

HLA-DQB1, Allele 0609

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,1 (subtype 9,6)