Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cdog7

Different Glutens, Different Responses?

Anyone else notice that depending on what type of gluten-containing food you have, your reaction to it can be totally different? Is that, uh, right? I'm noticing this while I'm still in the pre-diagnosis phase and trying to keep some gluten in my diet for the testing..

Example

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I had noticed a difference between wheat and rye, but not sure about different wheat foods. Maybe it has something to do with other ingredients? Like cereal would likely have sugar, and if the intestines are in distress from gluten, maybe the sugar goes right through into the bloodstream or something. Just a stab in the dark...

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

Join eNewsletter

Hey Y'all, I am new to the forum and this disease. I was recently diagnosed by my family practice doctor in December 07. But then when I saw a gastro doctor this month, he wasn't so convinced. He said that my doctor hadn't run enough tests. He did an anitbody panel which of course came up negative because I had been gluten-free for a couple of months.

The doctors office called me and told me to discontinue the gluten-free diet and schedule me for a biopsy. I was off my gluten-free diet for one week and my symptoms all came back. So I cancelled the biopsy. I just don't know if I am doing the right thing. Did any of you have the biopsy done?

:(

Join eNewsletter

Hey Y'all, I am new to the forum and this disease. I was recently diagnosed by my family practice doctor in December 07. But then when I saw a gastro doctor this month, he wasn't so convinced. He said that my doctor hadn't run enough tests. He did an anitbody panel which of course came up negative because I had been gluten-free for a couple of months.

The doctors office called me and told me to discontinue the gluten-free diet and schedule me for a biopsy. I was off my gluten-free diet for one week and my symptoms all came back. So I cancelled the biopsy. I just don't know if I am doing the right thing. Did any of you have the biopsy done?

:(

Did you family doctor run tests? I went back and forth about getting a biopsy, but i had been off gluten and get sick eating gluten so decided against it. My daughter however has gone back on gluten again and plans to test. Her reactions were never intestinal problems. If I was younger I think I would, but now with the prospect of paying my own insurance and retirement coming up in a few years I decided I really dont want the diagnosis.

"The only thing constant in life is change"

Celiac not confirmed, but positive results with diet change

Gluten free since 10/06

Join eNewsletter

Hi CDog7, I have noticed different reactions based on the type of food and am wondering if it is to do with the amount of gluten? I am assuming some foods will have more than others, or different types of wheat have a higher amount of gluten in it...when I eat pasta I don't have stomach pains, but I typically have a horrible sleep and am all lethargic the next day. If I eat something like a bowl of shredded wheat, I get really burpy, stomach pains, etc. Perhaps durum wheat used to make pastas doesn't have the same gluten content as the wheats used in cereals and breads???

HLA-DQ 1,1 (5,6)

Gluten free - March 08

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter