This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New Diagnosis And Gluten - Need Help Finding Gluten

CeliacMom2008

CeliacMom2008 Enthusiast

My son was diagnosed in Dec. Since then we've had 3-4 suspected glutenings. Can anyone tell me if they've had any trouble with any of the following? I thought they were all OK, but now I'm wondering...

Aunt Jemima syrup - I just found out Pinnacle won't commit to gluten free, but they said there is no gluten in the ingredients, but there may be CC.

Kraft Shredded Mozarella, grated Parmesan & Romano cheese blend - He eats cheese regularly, but these are the occassional varieties. I made pizza tonight with all of them.

Ragu pizza sauce

Doritos Cool Ranch

Cheetos

Skittles

Thanks for the help! I sure would love a "gluten meter". Something I could stick to his forehead and have it come up with a "Yep, been glutened. Throw out the ________." B)

As a side note, my DH went gluten-free 1.5 weeks ago and we all had homemade pizza tonight and they both ended up in the bathroom. But on previous occassions I've suspected my son takes a few days to ramp into the D, preceded by fatigue and gas for a day or two. But we're so new to this that I could be all wet. And DH's blood tests came back neg. (twice - didn't trust just one :huh: ), but he has shown classic symptoms for about 10 years (IBS diagnosis, extreme fatique, moodiness, easily injures joints and long time to heal those injuries). He decided to try gluten-free just to see what would happen despite blood test.

Help!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JennyC Enthusiast

Cross contamination with Frito Lay products is quite common. We buy Cheetos from Walmart or Trader Joe's. Walmart's gluten-free products say gluten free on the label. I would suspect Frito-Lay as the culprit. They have a bad reputation around here. As far as syrup goes, it seems like the information changed too frequently, so we switched to pure maple syrup. We had never used it before, but we are used to it now. (It can take some getting used to, especially for kids.)

Ridgewalker Contributor

I agree with everything Jenny said. We used to do Frito-Lay products, but I finally had to nix them. There is simply too much CC at their factories. I almost never buy their stuff anymore, because it's just a big fat risk. And the pure maple syrup is guaranteed safe- it's virtually impossible to get straight answers on other types.

Having said that...

Are you using a pizza stone that has been used for gluteny pizza in the past? Or an old brush to brush on olive oil? Those are two possible culprits in homemade pizza contamination.

We've never had problems with the Kraft cheese blend, Ragu pizza sauce, or Skittles. Well, ACTUALLY, Skittles give me diarrhea and always have. But they are gluten-free and don't bother my kids. I don't know why they do that to me.

CeliacMom2008 Enthusiast

Thanks! We'll omit Frito Lay. :( He's not much of a chip eater anyway. Has always preferred Quaker rice cakes...which look to be a possible source of cross contamination too, so I've already stopped buying those. I guess we'll use gluten-free pretzels for those rare occassions. It's healthier anyway, right. <_< And we already got rid of the Aunt Jemima and switched to Log Cabin Country Kitchen. We also bought the real stuff and we'll try to cross over. I'll do anything at this point to eliminate these accidental glutenings. He has been amazing on the diet and so willing to try anything and accept whatever new curveball we throw at him. He deserves to have that result in NO MORE D!!

How about Smart Choice White Cheddar Popcorn? He loves that, but I think it's Frito Lay or some other mainstream company as wel...

Archived