This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dairy Withdrawal?

feelingbetter

feelingbetter Rookie

I am new here and only 1 month gluten free. Well... that is I didn't intentionally eat gluten. I have adrenal fatigue, anemia, low low blood pressure, constipation and the worst fatigue you can imagine. I lost my real estate career and have suffered from depression since a child. Oh and I am also a recovering alcoholic. I am treating the above conditions through a holistic doctor. I am also on high doses of vitamins and minerals.

Now for the good news. Most of my body pain is gone since going gluten-free. The constipation is much improved. I am still super tired. I decided to quit all dairy in order to give my body a break. This is my 3rd day and I am even more tired. I had to nap 3 hours yesterday and today. I have also had more anxiety and dizziness. I have read about withdrawal and wondered if anyone else has gone through this. I have also had pain in my ear canal and itchy ears. Mild headache also. How long will this last? Just when I thought I couldn't possibly get any sicker.

Thanks Brenda

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ivanna44 Apprentice
I am new here and only 1 month gluten free. Well... that is I didn't intentionally eat gluten. I have adrenal fatigue, anemia, low low blood pressure, constipation and the worst fatigue you can imagine. I lost my real estate career and have suffered from depression since a child. Oh and I am also a recovering alcoholic. I am treating the above conditions through a holistic doctor. I am also on high doses of vitamins and minerals.

Now for the good news. Most of my body pain is gone since going gluten-free. The constipation is much improved. I am still super tired. I decided to quit all dairy in order to give my body a break. This is my 3rd day and I am even more tired. I had to nap 3 hours yesterday and today. I have also had more anxiety and dizziness. I have read about withdrawal and wondered if anyone else has gone through this. I have also had pain in my ear canal and itchy ears. Mild headache also. How long will this last? Just when I thought I couldn't possibly get any sicker.

Thanks Brenda

Hi feelingbetter (Brenda)

Welcome to the "gluten free gang" so to speak :D

Withdrawls from food allergies will vary. Headaches are common, from what I've heard. It also takes time for the body to detox from food reactions, its all very individualized, not everyone has the same reactions to withdrawl.

Bottom line, if your body feels better by going gluten free, then listen to your body. I don't know about the tiredness, but then I'm always tired. Got a 4 year son. haha :D

I've heard to that very often our bodies in terms of withdrawls, will carve the very thing we are trying to do without. For example people who are quitting smoking, will have headaches, tremors, shakes, increased depression, lightheadness, so on. It's the body way, of saying give me what you took away. Unfortunately it just gives you the quick fix to those withdrawl symptons. And you start a messy game of up/down for the body. Factor in too, you are a recovering alcholic

How long withdrawls take again is very individualized. Just ask yourself. Do I feel better? You mention your body aches and constipation are better since going gluten free. Again, listen to your body. You know how it reacts to gluten.

Snoop around the boards. There is a ton of support here, from recipes to adjusting to life with gluten. Gluten is everywhere, including comestics, bathroom supplies (shampoo etc). I personally believe that it can take up to 6 months to be totally gluten-free as it takes that long to learn all the hidden places gluten shows up. :blink:

There is a link on the home page here to the Clan Thompson's website, where you can get a mini freebie list to gluten-free items such as foods and medications.

Good luck with your new healthy lifestyles.

:)

MDRB Explorer

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having such a hard time.

Its pretty normal to be feeling awful at this stage, it sounds like your body is going through withdrawal of a few different things. I went through gluten withdrawal pretty badly. I had awful fatigue, dizziness, itchy ears etc for about 4 weeks after my stomach problems lessened.

It can take a while to heal, I was lucky and healed fairly quickly but it really is different for everyone. Take care of your body by sticking to easy to digest foods such as lean meats, beans and vegetables.

You are on the right track, I hope you start to feel better soon.

curlyfries Contributor
There is a link on the home page here to the Clan Thompson's website, where you can get a mini freebie list to gluten-free items such as foods and medications.

Good luck with your new healthy lifestyles.

:)

I couldn't find the link. Exactly where is it?

Archived