Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MrsGlutenFree

Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein Question

Hi! I went and checked out Lavera's website, since I heard they were gluten free. It even says so on their front page but in their shampoos, "hydrolyzed wheat protein" in an ingredient. So, I called to ask. They said that the gluten ingredient was removed from the wheat germ oils & that it is gluten-free. I didn't know that was possible. Is it? My dh & ds are VERY sensitive, so I'd like my products to be gluten-free, too.

MrsGlutenFree

1 son dx on December 2007 with Celiac Disease & acute colitis

1 :-) husband dx with Celiac on December 2007

My Gluten-Free blog

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

The conventional 'wisdom' (not) is, that wheat germ oil and wheat starch don't contain any gluten. But the proof is in the pudding, as they say. MANY people with celiac disease react badly to both wheat germ oil and wheat starch.

I react to shampoo or soap containing wheat germ oil by severe itching, hives, and on my scalp, psoriasis.

Since you and your family are very sensitive, I would advise you not to use the Lavera products.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------