Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

redheadheather

Periodic Testing

I have a quick question regarding testing for DSs. DS#1 was tested for celiac (my grandmother and DH's grandmother both had it and my mother has it - my testing has come back negative two times) at age 7. I've been told that celiac can show up at any time and especially with the family history it might be a good idea to have DSs (now they are 7 and 9) tested every other year "in case". What are your thoughts?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Well, it depends what kind of testing you are talking about. If you are talking about bloodwork, that's not so invasive, so you might learn something from it. But if you're talking endoscopy/biopsy, that IS invasive (therefore risky, no matter what they tell you--there IS a risk of reacting to the anesthesia an dying on the table, and the risk is higher for children), and it's kind of a crapshoot--villi damage is patchy, and often not easily visible.

Are your DSs showing any symptoms? Keep in mind, symptoms can be typical (intestinal issues) or less typical or at least, less often recognized. Asthma, eczema, learning issues, behavior issues, joint pain, "foggy brain," ADD, ADHD, diabetes 1 or 2, thyroid issues, and pretty much any autoimmune issue can be early warning signs. Villi damage might not occur until much, much later--if at all. (Some people with DH, which is an automatic diagnosis of celiac, DON'T have villi damage.)

If there are symptoms going on, I'd go for testing and then see if symptoms disappear on a gluten-free diet.

Of course, a gluten-free diet now wouldn't hurt them at all, even if they don't have any predisposition towards celiac.

I have a quick question regarding testing for DSs. DS#1 was tested for celiac (my grandmother and DH's grandmother both had it and my mother has it - my testing has come back negative two times) at age 7. I've been told that celiac can show up at any time and especially with the family history it might be a good idea to have DSs (now they are 7 and 9) tested every other year "in case". What are your thoughts?

Currently I'm 19 weeks pregnant and we have opted to have or next kid tested for the genes. This way we will know "if" periodic blood checks are needed or not. The Kimball genetics one is completely covered by our insurance you may want to check in to it.