Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ohsotired

Testing - What All Should I Ask For?

I feel a little dumb asking this, as I've found many posts listing the tests involved in the Celiac Panel (Antigliadin IgA and IgG, Anti-tissue Transglutaminase Antibody (tTG), IgA and IgG, Anti-endomysial (EMA) IgA and IgG,Total serum IgA), but I'm wondering if there are additinal tests I should be asking for that might help give some clues as to what's going on.

Are there specific vitamin deficiencies that should be checked for?

Are there blood or other tests that can check for malabsorption?

Or should I just start with the celiac panel and go from there?

**My brain is super 'foggy' today, so if what I've written here doesn't make sense, please ask questions and I'll try my best to form a coherent response. :unsure:

TIA

Dx Celiac 08/22/08

Iron Deficient Anemia / Blood Clotting Disorder / Severe Vit D Deficiency / Low Cortisol / Progesterone/Testosterone Deficient

Persisting Sx: bouts of extreme fatigue, dry itchy skin, dry gritty eyes, bouts of brain fog and terrible short term memory, hair loss, hypoglycemic tendencies, low body temps, low BP, cold hands and feet

UPDATE: Began BHRT 9/22/10 and it made a world of difference, for about 2 weeks. Hair loss stopped almost completely, energy levels way up and felt 19 again! Going back for a booster this week....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Anyone? Or is my question really really dumb? ;)

Dx Celiac 08/22/08

Iron Deficient Anemia / Blood Clotting Disorder / Severe Vit D Deficiency / Low Cortisol / Progesterone/Testosterone Deficient

Persisting Sx: bouts of extreme fatigue, dry itchy skin, dry gritty eyes, bouts of brain fog and terrible short term memory, hair loss, hypoglycemic tendencies, low body temps, low BP, cold hands and feet

UPDATE: Began BHRT 9/22/10 and it made a world of difference, for about 2 weeks. Hair loss stopped almost completely, energy levels way up and felt 19 again! Going back for a booster this week....

I had highish liver numbers, and ferritin had gone down from 60-ish to 30-something.

thyroid antibodies are common too, and I had them.

vit. D often is low.

I think there are other things too that are quite common in celiac.

gluten-free since may 06 after neg. biopsy symptoms went away and DH symptoms which I had since 03 got gradually better.

daughter officially diagnosed celiac and casein intolerant.

non-DQ2 or DQ8. Maybe DQ1? Updated: Yes, double DQ5

Hypothyroid since 2000, thyroxine first started to work well 06 on a low-carb and gluten-free diet

Lost 20 kg after going gluten-free and weighing 53 kg now. neg. biopsy for DH. Found out afterwards from this forum that it should have been taken during an outbreak but it was taken two weeks after. vitaminD was 57 nmol/l in may08)

Thanks for replying nora_n!

Did they find those things with blood tests?

I wonder especially about vitamin deficiencies, as I lost a bunch of weight, can't seem to gain it back, and bruise really really easily. I'm also really tired all the time.

I had some bloodwork done last November, but according to the doc, everything looked 'normal'.

I know they checked thyroid and iron levels, but I don't remember what else.

Dx Celiac 08/22/08

I feel a little dumb asking this, as I've found many posts listing the tests involved in the Celiac Panel (Antigliadin IgA and IgG, Anti-tissue Transglutaminase Antibody (tTG), IgA and IgG, Anti-endomysial (EMA) IgA and IgG,Total serum IgA), but I'm wondering if there are additinal tests I should be asking for that might help give some clues as to what's going on.

If you're asking specifically about tests for diagnosing Celiac.....then it would be all of the ones you listed. None of the other tests are specific for Celiac.

Additional testing can be helpful in determining deficiencies or other problems/imbalances...however, they have nothing to do with diagnosing Celiac.

In addition to the blodwork listed above...there is also the endoscopy/biopsy.

Thyroid antibodies, vitmain deficiencies, malabsorption, etc....can all be found in people who do not have Celiac Disease. I actually have all of those issues...for reasons other than Celiac Disease. So those tests arent useful for making the diagnosis.

Rachel

Ohsotired,

Make sure that they do the DNA test too. My blood tests were invalid because I had been gluten-free beforehand, but the DNA test - which I had to argue for - found that I'm a DQ 5. Finally, after 20 years of being sick and nearly 15 years of asking doctors about celiac disease, I was vindicated. The ignorant GI doc ignored the DNA results and tried to tell me that my blood tests "proved" that I was not celiac.

My primary care doc also tests my vitamin D levels twice a year because he's worried about malabsorption leading to osteoporosis.

Kate

Or should I just start with the celiac panel and go from there?

**My brain is super 'foggy' today, so if what I've written here doesn't make sense, please ask questions and I'll try my best to form a coherent response. :unsure:

TIA

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Celiac symptoms since 1985 (gluten-free since 9/2/07)

Vitiligo since 1991

Environmental allergies since 1992

Polycystic Ovary Disease since 1993

HLA DQA 1*05 (DQ5)

Rachel--24 - Thanks, I did mean specifically for celiac disease. I just wondered if there were common vitamin deficiencies that could be tested for as well, not necessarily to diagnose celiac disease, but to be on the look out for.

HouseKat - Is there a specific name for the DNA test? I'm still eating gluten, but went gluten-free for 4 short days as a trial and did see some results during that time.....

Dx Celiac 08/22/08