This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Do Symptons Go Through Cycles?

kristionii

kristionii Rookie

HI,

I had a positive transglutamine blood test back in May, and I finally had my endoscopy 9 days ago. My doctor commented that "everything looked really good and normal" when he went in, but the actual biopsy will confirm if I have Celiacs. Maybe I'm still in the early stages and now showing significant villi damage? After trying to get the biopsy results for a couple days, I found out he's on vacation for 3 more weeks! So I have no answers until then (although I know from all the members on the board telling me previously that positive blood test = celiacs).

I am still eating gluten until I get the final biopsy results (JUST IN CASE the results are inconclusive or he wants something else done). The last week or two I've noticed my symptoms have been non-existant and/or much better. My eating of certain foods has not changed. Sometimes I have had to run to the bathroom after eating a small bowl of pasta, or a sandwich. These last few weeks I've noticed a signifcant decrease in running to the bathroom, gas, etc. Do symptoms go through cycles? Is it possible to have a few good weeks and/or some bad weeks?

Last question: Is nausea a symptom of Celiacs? I had a peanut butter sandwich (with 2 pieces of whole wheat bread) and felt very nauseated afterwards, and I've had nausea after eating pita bread or other similar things. I wonder if I'm just overeating, or if its a symptom? Otherwise this week, I've been eating movie theatre nachos and restaurant pasta, without out the slightest stomach reaction. What is a gluten-challenge and would it be beneficial in this situation?

Sorry for the long-winded question ... I tend to overanalzye! Which is why waiting 3 more weeks for the biopsy results is torture for me!

Thank you :)

K

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ksymonds84 Enthusiast

Nausea is definately a symptom of being glutened for me. Sometimes accidently being glutened will show up in a couple of hours and sometimes not till the next day. A gluten challenge is going without gluten (for me 2 months) then challenging it by eating gluten to see what your reaction would be. If I were you, I would have the biopsy first and if shows negative then try a gluten challenge. If you stop eating gluten now, you could have a false negative on your biopsy. If you are positive then no challenge will be necessary. If you were having severe gluten reactions then by all means I would stop torturing yourself but since your reactions are lessoning it would make more sense to hang in there for the biopsy. Good luck and keep us posted!

Archived