This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help Interpreting Scratch Test Results!

2sensitivekids

2sensitivekids Newbie

I live in New Brunswick, Canada and my two children (ages 6 and 1) were recently tested for allergies using the scratch test. They both scored a 2+ for wheat and I was wondering if this score is even high enough to warrant a change in diet? My 6 year old has had ADHD behaviours since birth, has never slept through the night - EVER, and has bowel and skin problems. They both tested positive for many things - dairy, wheat, yeast, soy, msg, cat hair, dust mites, perfume and the list goes on. I just don't know where to begin. I have had severe psoriasis since I was 13 (now 31) and nothing I ever did has helped it. I have used heavy steriod creams for years. I am begining to suspect it may be linked to food allergy, particularly wheat/gluten. Both kids have skin problems too, although not psoriasis. Our family has alot of autoimmune diseases like psoriasis (both sides of my family), rhematoid arthritis, lupus, lymphoma, allergies - just to name a few.

Does anyone know if a score of 2 or higher is valid on a scratch test? I have already done a gluten free diet with them but I find it very hard to stick to as there isn't alot of products available here. I have seen some improvements, but not drastic as there has still be small amounts of wheat in their diet here and there. We have been referred to a pedatrician who will probably do further tests (I hope) but it takes a while here to get an appointment (a few months).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shayesmom Rookie
I live in New Brunswick, Canada and my two children (ages 6 and 1) were recently tested for allergies using the scratch test. They both scored a 2+ for wheat and I was wondering if this score is even high enough to warrant a change in diet? My 6 year old has had ADHD behaviours since birth, has never slept through the night - EVER, and has bowel and skin problems. They both tested positive for many things - dairy, wheat, yeast, soy, msg, cat hair, dust mites, perfume and the list goes on. I just don't know where to begin. I have had severe psoriasis since I was 13 (now 31) and nothing I ever did has helped it. I have used heavy steriod creams for years. I am begining to suspect it may be linked to food allergy, particularly wheat/gluten. Both kids have skin problems too, although not psoriasis. Our family has alot of autoimmune diseases like psoriasis (both sides of my family), rhematoid arthritis, lupus, lymphoma, allergies - just to name a few.

Does anyone know if a score of 2 or higher is valid on a scratch test? I have already done a gluten free diet with them but I find it very hard to stick to as there isn't alot of products available here. I have seen some improvements, but not drastic as there has still be small amounts of wheat in their diet here and there. We have been referred to a pedatrician who will probably do further tests (I hope) but it takes a while here to get an appointment (a few months).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I believe that with a score of 2+, it is warranted to avoid that food item. When you get into the 3's and 4's, then you're looking at serious and potentially deadly allergic reactions (at least according to some of the tests I've seen done). With that said, I think that there may be different "scales" that the tests are interpreted by.

Considering all that you have listed in regards to family health history, I do think that it would be well advised to pay attention to these test results and stay off the offending foods. Yes, the diet can be difficult, but most of that difficulty can be overcome with some planning and a bit of research.

Outside of buying gluten-free pasta, I haven't really had too many problems with coming up with naturally gluten-free meals. You may want to check out the paleo diet sites or even the raw food diet. Both would have plenty of recipes that could accomodate the allergens you've listed without breaking the bank. As you get more comfortable with things, you can then experiment with baked goods. I've ground up almonds at home for a flour and used them to make some pretty awesome brownies. The best part was....I didn't really need a bunch of expensive, specialty ingredients outside of the gfcfsf chocolate (and even then....you could find a gluten-free powdered cocoa to use). And as I've found recipes that I liked, I then set aside 20 minutes 2x per week to do some baking. I have my 5 year old help me (I figure she needs to learn the process while it's still "fun" for her). From there, we wrap up individual portion sizes and freeze them for later use. Same goes for dinner. We make extra and make our own t.v. dinners for the days when cooking isn't an option.

Two of my aunts and a couple of cousins are now on a gluten-free diet. They live in Quebec and they also have stated that they have to drive pretty far to get gluten-free foods. However, there are several companies that are based in Canada (including a great bakery in Toronto). A bit of research and you could possibly have the products shipped directly to you.

The diet could help with psoriasis. But from what I've seen, some supplements are also needed to make up for the nutritional deficiencies that cause the condition. You may want to have your thyroid, hormone levels, and blood nutrient levels checked. Adrenal fatigue may also be an issue.

Amyleigh0007 Enthusiast

If you and your kids go through further testing (for Celiac Disease) then you will want to stay on gluten. If you go off of it the tests may not be accurate.

When, and if, you decide to do gluten free you have to be 110% commited to getting all gluten out of their/your diet. Having a little wheat/gluten here and there will do you and your children no good. You might as well not do it at all. At first it is hard. We are 9 months into being gluten free and I still learn something new everyday. But, it does get easier. You don't have to purchase special gluten free foods. I live in a small town and don't have much in the way of specialty gluten free foods but we make due with what we have because our son's life depends on it. I do stock up on gluten free pasta and I buy Pamela's baking mix for pancakes, waffles, cookies, and breading chicken. Luckily my son doesn't like bread and I can do without it too. We order a gluten free pizza once a month as a treat (I have to drive 45 minutes to get that pizza but it is REALLY good!!). Everything else we eat is purchased from Walmart, just regular food. You learn what brands to trust and what to look for on labels. Pretty soon it becomes second nature. If you ever have questions this forum is great.

angelschick Apprentice

I always have questioned the scratch tests. My son has sever allergies when he was young and we had the scratch test done maybe 15 years ago. He tested highly positive to birds. I had an African Grey Parrot I had raised from a chick, hand fed and it was my baby. The Doc told me the bird had to go. I re-homed my bird and my son was still sick. In fact, he was sick for 8 more months until we moved. After we moved, the house was found to have mold. My son never had the same issues again, even when we got another bird a few years later. Maybe the tests have changed or I just had a quack of a Doc but I still miss my bird :-(

caek-is-a-lie Explorer

I want this brownie recipe! :D

2sensitivekids Newbie

Thank-you everyone for your help! Angelschick, I agree with you about the inaccuracy of the scratch tests. My son scored a 3+ for cat hair (we have 3 cats) and he doesn't seem to have any symptoms! I'm hoping to get more answers when we go to the pediatrician.

shayesmom Rookie
I want this brownie recipe! :D

LOL! Here's the recipe. I recommend spending some time on the glutenfreegoddess site. Since she's been diagnosed with new food allergies, she's come up with some awesome substitutions for recipes. I'd also recommend looking at the recipes supplied on the paleo diet sites. They always use ground nuts in lieu of harder to find gluten-free flours.

Dark Chocolate Brownies (from www.glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com)

5 ounces Belgian dark chocolate (I used Trader Joe's) or 5 oz. Enjoy Life chocolate chips

1/2 cup butter or vegan margarine such as Earth Balance Buttery Spread

2 organic free-range eggs

1 cup packed light brown sugar

1/2 rounded cup almonds, processed into a fine meal

1/4 cup brown rice flour

1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Optional:

1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, if desired

1/2 cup extra semi sweet chocolate chips for the top, if desired

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8x8-inch square baking pan with foil and lightly oil the bottom.

Melt the dark chocolate and butter in a large Pyrex cup in the microwave until you are able to stir it together easily. Set aside.

In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs on medium high till frothy. Add the brown sugar and beat until the mixture is smooth.

Add the melted chocolate mixture into the egg-sugar mixture a little at a time - incorporate it slowly - and beat well for a good minute. The chocolate will look smooth and glossy.

In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients: almond meal, rice flour, fine sea salt and baking soda; whisk together. Add the dry flour mix into the chocolate mixture and beat well for a minute. Add the vanilla, beat another half a minute or so. You now have your brownie batter.

If you are adding nuts, stir in the nuts by hand and spread the batter into the prepared baking pan [this brownie batter is much thinner than any brownie mix batter I've tried - don't worry - it's going to be wonderful]. Shake the pan a little bit to even out the batter. Layer the semi-sweet chips all over the top of the batter and press them in slightly, if adding.

Bake in the center of a preheated 350 degree F oven for 33 to 35 minutes, or until the brownies are set. Don't overcook. [Err on the side of gooey, if you must; I find gluten-free brownies are better slightly undercooked than over-cooked.]

Cool on a wire rack and remove from the pan by gripping the foil edges. Chill before cutting.

These brownies were outstanding slightly chilled. Intense, chocolatty and tender.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived