dtgirl

Trouble Staying Asleep

Rate this topic

Here is my problem: I have no problem falling asleep, but I always wake up 45 min-1.5 hours later and eat, even if I am not really hungry. I've tried eating, not eating, everything and this always happens. It has been going on for about 2 years. Has anyone dealt with this before?? I am a celiac and have been off wheat/gluten but crave these very items (and sugar) often. I have yet to cave. Any insight?

I also have the problem of not being able to stay asleep. No problem falling asleep, but don't stay asleep. It's been several years for me, and I reached the point of being totally exhausted all of the time. Of course, there were other things going on, too....I don't, however, eat when I wake up. My doc. currently has me on Lyrica in an effort to help me sleep better (as well as for other immune problems). So far I am still on the lowest dose and can't handle more than that. But, I do sleep better. I still wake up sometimes at night, but go back to sleep.

As far as cravings, I don't know how to help you with that. Before, I could have sweets in the house and not be bothered by them. Chocolate is killer for me right now (the last couple of years). If it's anywhere near me, I can't leave it alone. So...I don't keep it in the house. I'm not sure why we have these very strong cravings for sugery things, but I know I have to leave them alone.

Good luck in finding answers that are helpful for you :)

Do you think your blood sugar gets low at about that time? Have you tried eating protein before bed? As for the cravings, I don't crave much as long as my blood sugar levels are good. If they start getting low, I'm like a hungry wolf pacing and pacing for food. I mostly want sugary carbs then. I've been increasing my dietary fats and that has helped a lot.

Chocolate is high in magnesium. Some women crave it with their periods because their magnesium levels are low then.

I do have major reactive hypoglycemia. I eat protein before bed, usually something like 150grams turkey with avocado or evoo. I do not eat any fruit, mostly meat and oils, I have been having major stomach issues. But I do think it has something to do with my blood sugar.

I wonder if adding a hard boiled egg to your nightly food would help. For me, turkey just doesn't stick to my ribs like beef or eggs. I also sometimes add a handful of nuts late in the evening.