foodiegurl

Reaction To Gluten Or Dairy?

Rate this topic

Last week I was away on holiday for 3 days. I did really well, and spoke to the chefs at the restaurants I ate at, and even brought my own pasta to an Italian place for them to cook for me with their sauce.

Every time I was at a cafe and ordered a chai, I would ask to see the package, and if I was unfamiliar I would use my phone to look up the brand and make sure it was safe, as I did for the soy milk, if I used it. I brought my own snacks as well.

My only problem was one night I went to a frozen custard place, and I asked if it was gluten-free, the kid had no clue what I was talking about, so he asked his manager, and she said yes. So, i went for it, and had a vanilla frozen custard in a cup. About 3 hours later, I felt awful it started as reflux or heartburn and then horrible gas and bloating :( I took licorice root and tums, and it didn't seem to work much. finally, in the morning I woke up and felt better. The rest of the trip, I stayed away from dairy, just in case, though, I have been fine with dairy since 1 month post-gluten-free change.

I decided to test it when I got home, and had sour cream on a baked potato...fine. Then, I had cream in some pasta, fine again. Last night, I had a big scoop of ice cream with cherry pie..and really felt like that would do it...nope. Could it have been a one-time dairy reaction, or could it have been gluten?

I have felt that in the past when I thought i may have been CC'd (like eating at a friend's when they used butter on something I was eating and worried it had crumbs), I would have no reaction, so then I guess I assumed I did not have reactions from gluten.

Thanks!

That's a gluten reaction.

They could have made practice cones and then if they aren't shaped properly they dump them back into the soft serve machine. mmmmm. Plus all sorts of other opportunities for cross contamination. And who knows what the manager knows about ingredients.

Sometimes I eat a dilly bar at Dairy Queen if it's a pre packaged one, sealed up, not the homemade ones, but I wouldn't risk soft serve ice cream unless it didn't matter what I felt like later.

Good point, i never thought about them throwing it back in...yuck!

Wow, I didn't know Dairy Queen was gluten-free...good to know.

I get uncomfortable with milk or ice cream but seem to be able to eat cheese or ricotta cheese. When I get the urge for ice cream at home I just mix a tea spoon of sugar and some cocoa and maybe some mint extract with about a 1/3 cup of whole milk ricotta and satisfy the urge. It is rich, creamy and tasty!

When I get the urge for ice cream at home I just mix a tea spoon of sugar and some cocoa and maybe some mint extract with about a 1/3 cup of whole milk ricotta and satisfy the urge. It is rich, creamy and tasty!

Sounds interesting, I will have to try that just to see how it tastes!