dream77

Why Is Everybody So Much Into "whole Wheat"

Rate this topic

I am recently a little confused.

The more research I do the more I realise that glutne is probably effecting people even those who ar not proven celaic in bad ways and yet the market is so so "wheat centric"

Everything is marked with whole wheat and I do not see the gluten free increasing in the gluten free aisles.

Why do people in general have a whole wheat thing that it is packed with nutrients..

I've also been curious about how sorghum flours compare with wheat flours wrt protein and carbs. (I do have atendency to get higher sugar levels)

My only idea about the whole wheat craze is that eating refined flour and simple carbs aren't as healthy as eating the whole grain. I agree with you though that wheat is definitely making a LOT of people sick. Our country is way too dependent on wheat. As anyone who is trying not to eat it knows, it is in EVERYTHING.

I hope to see more gluten free stuff appearing on shelves, and I do believe that things are shifting veeeeery slowly.

The general public has been trained to think that whole wheat means healthy. The thing is, whole grains, as opposed to processed grains, are what is healthy (if you're not allergic of course ;), and whole wheat does not necessarily mean whole grain. Don't worry, fellow non-gluten eaters, about getting whole grains into your diet, because brown rice is considered whole grain (I believe quinoa is also considered whole grain, not 100% sure, but it also is a complete protein).

I don't know why gluten free has not expanded on the store shelves, but I will gripe that most gluten free bread and pastas are ridiculously expensive - c'mon, it's mostly made from rice, and rice is cheap....(jumping off soapbox, lol).

My take on the reason more people are becoming gluten intolerant is because manufacturers are adding extra gluten to bread and such (it makes the texture more chewy, etc.), and our stomachs are reacting negatively. Just my two cents.