Rate this topic

Hello;

My son (11 yrs) has been sick since before Christmas and when we were able to finally get some tests done on him the test came back positive for the antibody indicating gluten intolerance. We are still waiting to be able to get the next test from a gastrointestinal doctor. We have tried to switch him over to a gluten free diet. However, he is still nauseous a lot and will still loses his lunch. He is usually most nauseous in the morning and usually gets better through the day but the next morning, nauseous again.

Is this usual? How long can these symptoms last after changing to a gluten free diet?

I must admit I

So sorry to hear about your son's problems. Unfortunately, there may be some bad news that you need to hear. If the tests that the GI Dr. will do are going to valid, your son needs to continue to eat gluten. Eliminating the gluten will eliminate the production of antibodies and will begin the healing process. There are other disorders that can make the blood serum tests elevated. A solid diagnosis (endoscopic biopsy)will make it possible to identify the problem more accurately.

My daughter had gastroparesis on top of the celiac disease. Her doctor gave her a prescription that stimulated her stomach to empty. In her case, the celiac disease was essentially stopping the movement through the gi tract. She still, 6 yrs later, has to be careful with getting enough fiber and fluids in her diet. If she gets a gluten contact, we are right back in the hassle.At her doctor's direction, she has had to use saline enemas at times. These should only be used under a doctor's direction and infrequently. gluten-free Grandma

Hello;

My son (11 yrs) has been sick since before Christmas and when we were able to finally get some tests done on him the test came back positive for the antibody indicating gluten intolerance. We are still waiting to be able to get the next test from a gastrointestinal doctor. We have tried to switch him over to a gluten free diet. However, he is still nauseous a lot and will still loses his lunch. He is usually most nauseous in the morning and usually gets better through the day but the next morning, nauseous again.

Is this usual? How long can these symptoms last after changing to a gluten free diet?

I must admit I

So sorry to hear about your son's problems. Unfortunately, there may be some bad news that you need to hear. If the tests that the GI Dr. will do are going to valid, your son needs to continue to eat gluten. Eliminating the gluten will eliminate the production of antibodies and will begin the healing process. There are other disorders that can make the blood serum tests elevated. A solid diagnosis (endoscopic biopsy)will make it possible to identify the problem more accurately.

My daughter had gastroparesis on top of the celiac disease. Her doctor gave her a prescription that stimulated her stomach to empty. In her case, the celiac disease was essentially stopping the movement through the gi tract. She still, 6 yrs later, has to be careful with getting enough fiber and fluids in her diet. If she gets a gluten contact, we are right back in the hassle.At her doctor's direction, she has had to use saline enemas at times. These should only be used under a doctor's direction and infrequently. gluten-free Grandma

Hi GFgrandma

Thank you for responding:

When my son was diagnosed by his doctor to be gluten intolerant he said nothing about getting a biopsy done to verify the results of the test. He just told us to change his diet and that was it. I was a little disappointed in his doctor. When I started to research gluten-free on the web I found out about the need for a biopsy to verify the results of the blood test, so I called his doctors office (didn't talk to the doctor) and one of the nurses there (very helpful) set my son up for a referral to have someone review him to see if a biopsy was needed. She also mentioned about keeping him gluten-free although I have read that doing so could mess up the biopsy results if he has one. However the appointment is not until late April and I wouldn