lbv6684

Newly Diagnosed? You Can Do This!

Rate this topic

I know I don't have much experience but I did want to give some encouragement to anyone just starting this. When I was diagnosed 6 weeks ago with celiac, I felt a strange mix of relief and panic. I have been ill for a long time, so long I forgot what feeling well was about. I was so relieved to know that I wasn't imaging the symptoms I had (for most of my adult life!), and that they were directly related to something that I could control AND that it wasn't life threatening (because I had caught it and will deal with it). I was terrified because I love to feed people, oh and myself too, how was I supposed to do this now? After some introspection on this, I figure out that while I could cook and bake well, I never learned the science behind cooking. I didn't follow many recipes, just made things up. I have had to swallow my "chef" pride and allow someone else to teach me. In 6 weeks I have become so much more literate on this, its exciting to me. I am understanding how different flours work together, how liquids impact the flours, how to measure properly etc. I tried in the beginning to make elaborate recipes, but found simple was best and tasted good! I made vanilla cupcakes that were worthy of smiles and thumbs up from my family yesterday. The best part was that they were mixed up, baked and out of the oven in about 30 minutes then frosted with store bought frosting for ease. They were wonderful, and far less expensive than any I could purchase. I know that you have heard it before, but stay positive, if all you have to do is control your diet to feel well, and live a good life its not so bad! Be well!