Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

vanhorn

Cooking Without Expandex

Hello everyone-

I know about the benefits of Expandex and have read a lot about how to incorporate Expandex into recipes that don't call for it. However, I live in HI, where I have not been able to find Expandex. To order and ship it to HI is quite expensive. Is there a way to substitute for Expandex with other more common gluten-free flours?

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hello everyone-

I know about the benefits of Expandex and have read a lot about how to incorporate Expandex into recipes that don't call for it. However, I live in HI, where I have not been able to find Expandex. To order and ship it to HI is quite expensive. Is there a way to substitute for Expandex with other more common gluten-free flours?

Thanks!

Expandex is a very unique product. It may be chemically processed, but we don't know for sure, as Expandex does not divulge this information (trade secret).

You may wish to try a gluten-free dough enhancer. There are a few brands. Some contain soy lecithin and others include egg yolk lecithin. I shy away from soy products because they can affect your estrogen levels. If you purchase one, just make sure it's gluten-free.

There are a ton of ingredients in you can add to any dough to enhance it, though. I recently learned that ground ginger and garlic powder make great dough enhancers. I'm going to try the ginger today in a gluten-free hot dog recipe. I read that if you add 1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger to a loaf of bread you won't taste the ginger.

Good luck!

Carla