This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Reacting To Coke?

precious831

precious831 Contributor

I don't drink much soda but I admit I do like a Coke every now and then. Well it seems I'm reacting to this as well. I tried one over a week ago and tried again today just to see. Anyone else reacting to Coke like they've been glutened? Please no posts telling me I shouldn't be drinking this anyway, I know that. I am not addicted to soda.

Just checking! Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lischro Apprentice

I drink diet coke every once in a while- I've only noticed that it increases my bloating and sometimes causes me to feel "gross" for lack of a better example.

What kinds of symptoms are you having??

kayo Explorer

It could be a reaction to the HFCS. The extra fructose load can cause IBS symptoms like gas and bloating. Some also react to the caramel coloring which is derived from corn. If you have issues with corn that could explain it too.

I miss Coke but have found that a Diet Pepsi now and then is pretty good. I also like the sodas with cane sugar like Hansens or Jones.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I'm fine with Pepsi but can't do Coke.

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

Love Coke and Dr Pepper but hate the taste of Pepsi. No problems with them (so far!).

Zeb Rookie

I love regular (non-diet) Coke. I have one just about everyday. Does Coke cause intestinal problems for me? Without a doubt, YES. However I notice that when I lay off the Coke my bowels return to "normal." I think it's all the sugar in it because if I drink Coke Zero I usually don't have a problem. I was wondered the same thing earlier today and did a Google search and found that Coke is gluten free. So go figure on that one.

Zeb Rookie

By the way, I do not like the taste of Pepsi. I will avoid restaurants that serve Pepsi instead of Coke.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ksymonds84 Enthusiast

It could be a reaction to the HFCS. The extra fructose load can cause IBS symptoms like gas and bloating. Some also react to the caramel coloring which is derived from corn. If you have issues with corn that could explain it too.

I miss Coke but have found that a Diet Pepsi now and then is pretty good. I also like the sodas with cane sugar like Hansens or Jones.

Just want to say that I too cannot drink regular soda's (because of fructose load) but am fine with diet coke or pepsi. Thanks for mentioning Hansens I haven't tried it and will now. Aspartame is fine for my fructose intolerance but the diet sodas with splenda will wreak havoc everytime!

jerseyangel Proficient

Another soda that uses cane sugar is Boylans--my favorite. I can't tolerate artificial sweeteners, and won't use anything with HFCS.

Janelee63 Newbie

I also like Hansens...Also...Coke from glass is typically made with cane sugar. Coke in bottles/cans is made with high-fructose corn syrup. Check it out...I think this might be true on other sodas also.

precious831 Contributor

Thanks everyone! I don't think I'm sensitive to corn but yeah perhaps that's it. I was thinking of caramel color.

My symptoms were sort of similar to glutening(but milder). Except no swelling of the joints, so far that's all I noticed. But the same familiar bloating, cramping, headache etc.

I don't like the taste of diet anything.

Where can I get Hansen's or Jones?

precious831 Contributor

Another soda that uses cane sugar is Boylans--my favorite. I can't tolerate artificial sweeteners, and won't use anything with HFCS.

Where can I find Boylans?

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

My reaction is a weird one. I used to love Coke, Pepsi and Barq's root beer. Now they all taste like soap and chemicals to me since I went gluten free. The first time I tried soda again after diagnosis I got it from a machine at a fast food place. I thought they had run chemical cleaner through the lines and not rinsed them.

But I tried it at a couple more places and then from a bottle at home and it all tasted like soap and chemicals. Then I tasted my son's Sprite and same thing.

I can drink the all natural Hansen's sodas and they taste normal to me. I only have one once in awhile but it's the only one I even attempt to drink now.

jerseyangel Proficient

Where can I find Boylans?

I get it at Whole Foods.

kayo Explorer

I'll have to check out Boylans. I have found Hansens at my regular supermarket, Trader Joe's and Whole Foods (WF). WF had the largest variety of flavors. Hansens ginger ale is really good, very gingery. We used to be able to get Jones at our regular market but they don't carry it anymore. Now we get it at WF.

Hubby and I once splurged and ordered a case of coke from Mexico where it is made from sugar and not HFCS. It was SO good and refreshing. It came in glass bottles. I'll have to pay attention to that tip, thanks.

Splenda kills me. Stabbing, shooting, sharp pains in my abdomen. I use a bit of 'sweet n low' or Stevia in my tea and I tolerate that ok. I'm not crazy about using fake sweetners but need to limit my amount of sugar.

precious831 Contributor

I'll have to check out Boylans. I have found Hansens at my regular supermarket, Trader Joe's and Whole Foods (WF). WF had the largest variety of flavors. Hansens ginger ale is really good, very gingery. We used to be able to get Jones at our regular market but they don't carry it anymore. Now we get it at WF.

Hubby and I once splurged and ordered a case of coke from Mexico where it is made from sugar and not HFCS. It was SO good and refreshing. It came in glass bottles. I'll have to pay attention to that tip, thanks.

Splenda kills me. Stabbing, shooting, sharp pains in my abdomen. I use a bit of 'sweet n low' or Stevia in my tea and I tolerate that ok. I'm not crazy about using fake sweetners but need to limit my amount of sugar.

We used to get those Mexican Cokes too in a bottle, they're pricey. But I can't remember if I reacted to that, I'll have to try it again.

Funny thing, I don't react to Sprite. I'm fine with it.

Thanks for all the ideas everyone! I'll look for the suggestions. I mostly drink water and roibois tea but a little variety is all a need once in a blue moon.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Funny thing, I don't react to Sprite. I'm fine with it.

I don't react to Sprite either. If I have no choice but to get a Coke product that is the one I go to.

Roda Rising Star

For me it doesn't matter what kind of soda I drink diet or regular they all will bother me. I don't tolerate the carbonation very well. I do splurge though and drink a sprite every now and then.

RachelisFacebook Apprentice

I'm allergic to caramel coloring. Coke is a definite no-no for me. As others have stated, it could be the HFCS in it.

• 6 months later...
SMayberryScott Newbie

I know this is an old thread, but it might still be helpful if someone comes across it. Coke products are listed as gluten free because they meet the Codex standard of less than 200 parts per million (ppm). However, the FDA which does not have official regulation of foods to be labeled as gluten free as of yet, recommends 20 ppm for those suffering from Celiac disease or gluten intolerance. I was beginning to have some gluten-like symptoms recently (not a stomach ache, but skin issues and diarrhea) and couldn't figure out what could be causing it. I truly believe it is the Coke. I, for the first time since being diagnosed, was not pregnant anymore, and was once again enjoying caffeine products and drinking 1-2 Cokes a day. I only quit them 4 days ago and am already noticing a difference.

Here is a link to an article that explains further on the Coke/gluten issue: http://www.glutenfreeclub.com/articles/caramel.html

The article is dated 2007, so there is probably more recent information, but none that I could find quickly.

fumbling mom Rookie

My reaction is a weird one. I used to love Coke, Pepsi and Barq's root beer. Now they all taste like soap and chemicals to me since I went gluten free. The first time I tried soda again after diagnosis I got it from a machine at a fast food place. I thought they had run chemical cleaner through the lines and not rinsed them.

But I tried it at a couple more places and then from a bottle at home and it all tasted like soap and chemicals. Then I tasted my son's Sprite and same thing.

I can drink the all natural Hansen's sodas and they taste normal to me. I only have one once in awhile but it's the only one I even attempt to drink now.

BevMo (Beverages and More, if you have the chain) also carries Hansens and Boylans...and other cane sugar based sodas.

K8ling Enthusiast

After I gave birth to my son the first thing I asked for was a 4 pack of Boylans LOL

Looking for answers Contributor

I get my husband the "natural" coke from Costco in glass bottles (I think they make it in Mexico), but it contains real sugar not HFCS.

• 7 years later...
sabino Newbie
On 7/29/2010 at 1:54 PM, precious831 said:

I don't drink much soda but I admit I do like a Coke every now and then. Well it seems I'm reacting to this as well. I tried one over a week ago and tried again today just to see. Anyone else reacting to Coke like they've been glutened? Please no posts telling me I shouldn't be drinking this anyway, I know that. I am not addicted to soda.

Just checking! Thanks.

I'm now having the same problem with Coke. I'm going next week to see my Doctor to see what the problem is.

cyclinglady Grand Master
1 hour ago, sabino said:

I'm now having the same problem with Coke. I'm going next week to see my Doctor to see what the problem is.

Hi Sabino!  

Many celiacs have intolerances to other things like lactose or corn.  Most Coke does contain corn syrup.  You could be reacting to the other ingredients as well.  I can assure you that Coke is gluten free.  Consider avoiding it for a while until you feel better and then test.  

Welcome to the forum!