Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Well I broke down and scheduled a confirmatory EGD for 11/19. Any suggestions for what I need to do as far as amount of gluten to consume daily before then? It really does make me feel terrible - sometimes unbearable, but I want confirmation. Even if the EGD is negative I will have peace of mind that nothing is wrong internally with me. They will re-draw a Celiac panel and vitamin levels that day as well, so I want to be sure that I am doing whatever prep work I need to with the challenge.

So far today I had a baked potato w/cheese and a plain grilled chicken w/no bun. Skipped breakfast and will have something for dinner. I know this is not enough or even any gluten at all, so I need to know how much I need to consume to know for sure if I react to gluten or not. Is it 1-2 gluten items a day, 3-4...etc.

I really do not know how I will do it considering it gives me such problems :( I had two "butter cookies" in a little tin yesterday and was in pain all evening. It really didn't digest. Woke up in pain today still....and had to pop some tums to feel a little better. It's going to be a long month. I am seeing a"Dr. Kirby" for the EGD who works with my doctor at the Cleveland Clinic. From what I read he is knowledgeable, so I can at least rest assured that he will be thorough. He has done many Celiac studies and what have you :)

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

You need to consume 3 to 4 slices of bread a day or the equivalent in other gluten foods at a minimum. Do be aware that even with a full month back on gluten your tests can still be a false negative. If you have been gluten free and react strongly to the challenge that is pretty diagnostic in itself.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)