Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cassP

Cytomel & Synthroid Generic gluten-free?

hello again fellow Hashimoto's sufferers...

1st off, thankyou so much for providing so much comfort and information on here- i would be a mess without you all, seriously.

so, i almost lost it tonight at the pharmacy. i'll try to be short. Right now, i'm on Synthroid Brand Name 50mcg ( i already called the company last week- they are gluten free), and i am on Cytomel Brand Name 5mcg (gluten-free).. my doc tried me at 2 Cytomel pills a day... and NOW- she has me taking 3 of those a day.

Soooo- i asked my doc if we should up my dosage and then i could just break the pill, because 90 pills of Cytomel a month would be too expensive. she said the price should not change if she is prescribing that amount.

well, it did. maybe it's because i have United Healthcare/Catastrophic insurance... but i canNOT afford 77$ a month on Cytomel alone.

my question is: do any of you know for sure if there is any GENERIC SYNTHROID & GENERIC CYTOMEL that is 100% gluten-free????? i looked thru this forum, and someone mentioned Paddock & Mylan made gluten-free Cytomel... but that's all i could find. many of my local pharmacies no longer carry Mylan products :(

if any of you have any helpful advice, that would be so great!!! i have to call my doc tomorrow- cause i cant spend 77$ plus 17$ (synthroid) every month... and i cant go back to how i was feeling either :(

1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens

2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.

no biopsy (insurance denied)

6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:

HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302

HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302

HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)

7/2010- 100% Gluten Free

8/2010- DH

10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi there,

I've been taking Levoxly from King Pharmaceuticals & it is gluten free the last time I checked -last year.I'm really sensitive & I've never had any problems with it.

http://www.kingpharm.com/index.cfm

Lisa

Infertility since 1995/Endometriosis

Hasimoto Thyroid disease 1998

Enlarged Abdominal Lymph nodes since 2003 - Stable

Thyroid Hurtle Cell Cancer 2008 Stage 1- Total Thyriodectomy 2008

Anxiety/Depression/Insomnia/Fatigue - Gone with gluten free diet

Acid reflux -LPR 7-2009 - Gone with a Strict gluten free diet

Celiac disease - positive upper endoscopy & Blood Test 9-2009

Undiagnosed celiac for 20 years - Gluten free since 9-13-09

Hi there,

I've been taking Levoxly from King Pharmaceuticals & it is gluten free the last time I checked -last year.I'm really sensitive & I've never had any problems with it.

http://www.kingpharm.com/index.cfm

thanku, sorry for never replying.

i did find out my brand name Synthroid, and my Cytomel (brand or generic) are both gluten-free. but because of the HIGH COST, my doc is now going to try me on Armour- i hope i like it, cause it's much cheaper, but im a little worried, cause i think i prefer a higher ration of T3

your dog is ADORABLE :)

1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens

2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.

no biopsy (insurance denied)

6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:

HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302

HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302

HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)

7/2010- 100% Gluten Free

8/2010- DH

10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

i did find out my brand name Synthroid, and my Cytomel (brand or generic) are both gluten-free. but because of the HIGH COST, my doc is now going to try me on Armour- i hope i like it, cause it's much cheaper, but im a little worried, cause i think i prefer a higher ration of T3

I actually like the Armour better, but because of supply issues I had to change to generic synthroid.

I've taken quite a few generic brands of both wtih no issues. Never found one that has gluten in it. Armour is great and I prefer it but over the years the company has had issues keeping up with demand so be prepared to switch back to synthetics occasionally.

You can use this database to find all of the ingredients in a particular generic - you just have to know who manufacturers it: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cder/drugsatfda/index.cfm

---------------------------------

MP - celiac for 10 years

Thanks cassP! Good luck with the Armour! :)

Lisa

Infertility since 1995/Endometriosis

Hasimoto Thyroid disease 1998

Enlarged Abdominal Lymph nodes since 2003 - Stable

Thyroid Hurtle Cell Cancer 2008 Stage 1- Total Thyriodectomy 2008

Anxiety/Depression/Insomnia/Fatigue - Gone with gluten free diet

Acid reflux -LPR 7-2009 - Gone with a Strict gluten free diet

Celiac disease - positive upper endoscopy & Blood Test 9-2009

Undiagnosed celiac for 20 years - Gluten free since 9-13-09