This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Shocker: Vitamins Make Me Feel Better!

cO-ol

cO-ol Explorer

So when I remember to take my vitamins, I feel better! ESPECIALLY true for B vitamins. In fact, if I consume my non-gluten "bad stuff" my belly will grumble a little, but I won't be the moody mess I typically am. :o

I always had an issue remembering to take my vitamins, so I don't know how accurate my perception is of this, but it *seems* like my body reacts much more quickly to vitamins lately (in a good way). Take b12? THAT DAY I'm more energetic and happy, and I don't remember b12 being like that (I know consistently taking b12 made me more energetic pre gluten-free, but it didn't seem like it affected me so quickly...). I found my nausea issue from eating "bad stuff" was helped a bit by taking some extra b6.

Does anybody else have this experience? At least I'm not reacting badly to the vitamins, right? :D (haven't had this luck with multivitamins tho so I have to take like 3-4 different single vits but I'm dealing...)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

Most multivitamins do not have a sufficiently high dosage to be therapeutic. They only contain maintenance levels.

cO-ol Explorer

Most multivitamins do not have a sufficiently high dosage to be therapeutic. They only contain maintenance levels.

They're not even maintenance for me, let alone therapeutic. One multi turned my pee this horrid bright yellow color, and gave me diarrhea on top of that! Another just gave me stomach pain. :\ But the 1mg of sublingual b12 has never been a problem, and is now really awesome. Bonus points for taking 3-4. But the b12 never seemed to be that helpful that quick before (was taking it pre-gluten-free because I was low according to my first round of blood tests); unless I just wasn't paying attention.

AngieH Newbie

Every person who is gluten intolerant has different needs depending upon how the condition manifests itself. Some people may have a severe vitamin A or D deficiency, or a calcium deficiency. There are common vitamin deficiencies due to malabsorption found in people who are gluten intolerant.

Vitamins have sure helped me, I would recommend them to anyone.

Angie.

• 2 weeks later...
Janerie Newbie

Hi CO_ol:

I recently heard a dietician recommend a whole-food multivitamin (not in relation to celiac; it was during a marathon nutrition class) for the very reasons you mention: Many of the commercial brands include yucky things beyond gluten that cause negative reactions. I always used to take One-A-Day, and they always upset my stomach. I've now switched to a gluten-free whole-food vitamin, and can take it on an empty stomach with no side effects, :-)

Looking for answers Contributor

Hi CO_ol:

I recently heard a dietician recommend a whole-food multivitamin (not in relation to celiac; it was during a marathon nutrition class) for the very reasons you mention: Many of the commercial brands include yucky things beyond gluten that cause negative reactions. I always used to take One-A-Day, and they always upset my stomach. I've now switched to a gluten-free whole-food vitamin, and can take it on an empty stomach with no side effects, :-)

Me too. I only take food-based vitamins. My naturopath says that synthetic vitmains actually rob your body of vitamin and minerals in the long run because "isolates" are not full-spectrum and so they have to find other "pieces" in your body so they can be assimilated. I'm not explaining this eloquently but I watched a DVD about it and it really makes sense. Aside from that reason, being able to take vitamins on an empty stomach and no longer having neon-colored urine are reasons enough for me!

cO-ol Explorer

Me too. I only take food-based vitamins. My naturopath says that synthetic vitmains actually rob your body of vitamin and minerals in the long run because "isolates" are not full-spectrum and so they have to find other "pieces" in your body so they can be assimilated. I'm not explaining this eloquently but I watched a DVD about it and it really makes sense. Aside from that reason, being able to take vitamins on an empty stomach and no longer having neon-colored urine are reasons enough for me!

You've definitely piqued my curiosity here. What specific brand of vitamin do you take, and where can I find it? I looked up "whole food vitamin" on teh googles and got a lot of results that resemble spam too closely. :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Janerie Newbie

I've been taking New Chapter Every Woman's One Daily for a few weeks, on an empty stomach, with no adverse effects. I think I ordered them from Amazon, but a health food store or co-op near you may even carry these (or something similar):

Open Original Shared Link

I'm finishing up my generic-brand bottles of Vitamin D, B-12 and calcium now, and will replace all of those with whole-food alternatives as well, if they exist (I still need to research that). :-)

You've definitely piqued my curiosity here. What specific brand of vitamin do you take, and where can I find it? I looked up "whole food vitamin" on teh googles and got a lot of results that resemble spam too closely. :P

New Chapter is good as the poster above reports. My husband and I normally take Garden of Life...he's still on them, but I'm currently taking the gluten-free prenatal from Rainbow Light. They are also food based. There are several brands out there, just make sure they don't contain barley or wheat grass. Some brands say gluten-free but still contain these ingredients. I stay away from those. Vitacost.com has a decent selection and you can sort by gluten-free.

I'm finishing up my generic-brand bottles of Vitamin D, B-12 and calcium now, and will replace all of those with whole-food alternatives as well, if they exist (I still need to research that). :-)

They do. I know Garden of Life has them for sure. :rolleyes: Also, for all those interested in food-based vitamins, many brands require you to take 2-4 capsules per day. Several brands do have one-a-day varieties, but I break those down by two and take one half in the morning and one in the evening. Taking vitamins this way allows you to get a couple of good "flushes" of water soluable nutrients. This was also a tip by my doctor.

Archived