domesticactivist

Stuttering Developed After Going gluten-free?

Rate this topic

As I've posted on other threads, I went gluten free with the rest of my family after we realized my son has celiac disease, and in the past few months took it further and we're now doing GAPS. I've noticed many, many health benefits, both physical and neurological. However, in the past several months I have developed a terrible stutter. It happens when I am trying to explain something or ask for help with something that is stressing me out.

Has this happened to anyone else? I thought gluten-free diets usually helped with stuff like stutters (my dd's Tourette's is much better, for example). Maybe my grain free, mostly sugar free diet has inadvertently eliminated some nutrient I need?

I'd like to fix this!

I don't have any concrete advice or knowlege here but I thought I'd mention that a friend's son has autism and I've noticed that he developed a stutter and it actually seems to be worsening since she has eliminated numerous food items. His diet is very similar to GAPS with several additional items eliminated. He did not stutter before she started his diet.

It seems there is a bit of evidence that magnesium deficiency could play a part in stuttering but I can't really find any conclusive articles stating this.

Thanks. I got some other responses somewhere else that mentioned more. I'm already taking drops with Mg and have noticed that the Mg helps with dd's Tourette's so maybe I just need more of that. I also heard that vitamin D and B vitamin deficiencies can be related. I've been bad about taking my fermented cod liver oil but the weather is finally changing, so we'll see if the sun coming out helps. I don't want to deal with the dr re: vitamin B but should probably look into it more.

I don't have any concrete advice or knowlege here but I thought I'd mention that a friend's son has autism and I've noticed that he developed a stutter and it actually seems to be worsening since she has eliminated numerous food items. His diet is very similar to GAPS with several additional items eliminated. He did not stutter before she started his diet.

I would be interested in hearing more about the stuttering and gluten free. I would also be interested in hearing about any supplementation that may gave triggered stuttering. Has anyone ever experienced stuttering with vitamin D or B12 supplementation? It is hard to understand all the symptoms that one can have when diet or supplementation changes. Thanks

fyi I don't seem to be stuttering any more and I have not changed a thing since I posted. I have no idea what caused it.

I ws having a problem with stuttering while I was on glutens. At the same time I was having lots of problems with vit defiencies so some of my symtoms were hard to figure if it was all related to the wheat. In actuallity it was in the sense that body was not absorbing nutrients properly because of the glutens. I still have to be real careful to keep my diet rich in potassium and magnesium.

My husband had a severe stuttering episode that worrie us so much we went to the ER. His potassium and vit D were seriously low. For celiacs, this could just be the body having a hard time absorbing as you let it heal. Eat your bananas and get 10 min of sunlight :) and a supplement isn't a bad idea either