Chalula88

Angry With Don Pablos

Rate this topic

I am really angry with Don Pablos (specifically in Hyde Park, Cincinnati).

They sent out fliers advertising their gluten free menu, so me, my bf, and our friends went to eat there tonight because we were already out and wanted to try something new.

So, I got the menu and was immediately turned off by the fact that it says right on it that they don't use a separate work area or separate fryers (what's the point then?). But I thought I would give them a fair chance and talk to the manager.

The manager assured me it was fine and wouldn't be a problem, she said the gluten free food wasn't fried at all and that they would soften the corn tortillas with water and it wouldn't come into contact with any oil.

We sat down and then changed our minds, deciding it was too risky.

The manager stopped us at the door and asked why we were leaving and we explained that we thought it was too risky for me. Then she went on and on about how one of their servers has Celiac Disease. She had him come over and talk to us and he said he has eaten there himself and has not gotten sick. He said to get the steak and/or shrimp fajita because it's done on a separate grill and nothing breaded is ever fried on that grill.

He seemed to know what he was talking about and was very reassuring.

Well, lo and behold, by the time I got home I had to run to the bathroom and my stomach is the size of a hot air balloon.

It wouldn't bother me as much if it weren't for the fact that we were going to leave! And they stopped us! Grrrrr.

Next time I need to go with my gut and stick to P.F. Chang's, Chipotle, and Naked Pizza who all do a fantastic job at preparing gluten free food.