Mizzo

Help, Cannot Get Choc Cream Pie To Set

Rate this topic

I made Elana's pantry choc cream pie recipe but substituted 1 tbl guar gum for the arrowroot powder and it never set. I slowly reheated the "pudding" and added 1/8 c milk with 3 tbl cornstarch mixed into it and it still is not setting up.

I have 2 cans of coconut milk , 2 cups dark choc chips and hours of time invested in this.

Anyone know how I can set this after its cooled, twice ?

What a p.i.a. ! I've tried the nut crust recipe off of that page and it didn't want to work without tweaking, either. :angry:

You need more cornstarch. You have 3 tablespoons.

This recipe used 4 tablespoons per 2.75 cups milk. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chocolate-cornstarch-pudding/ if you've got 2 cans of coconut milk you have about 3.3 cups "milk." The proportions work out to you'd need .3 of a cup of cornstarch for that amount, which would be .3 x 16 tablespoons or about 5 tablespoons of cornstarch total.

Add at least 2 more tablespoons of cornstarch and re- cook it. Good luck.

ps you can freeze the pie if push comes to shove and pretend it's an ice cream pie. ;)

Guar gum (and xantham gum) serve more as binders to allow dough to stretch without breaking (like gluten) than thickeners. It would take a fair amount of starches (potato, corn, tapioca) to replace arrowroot or just a little kudzu or agar agar. Also, realize that coconut milk recipes take a little while longer to setup. So, if it is fresh off heat and not set... Well, give it 4 hours or so in the fridge and it may be set just plenty then. If you don't want to add more starches (corn, tapioca or potato) and you don't have access to the alternative thickeners (arrowroot, kudzu, agar agar) than I would suggest adding coconut oil or coconut butter which will significantly firm it up once refrigerated for a few hours and the extra fat can only make it taste better! Good luck!