This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New Here- Pregnancy Caused Celiac?

cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Newbie

Hi!

I'm Michelle and I'm currently 30 weeks pregnant. I've been battling sour stomach burps and diahrrea since Dec 16. Previously I've been diagnosed with mild lactose intolerance and suspected IBS. I called today to find out the results of a stool sample test and I don't have a parasite or bacterial infection. The nurse mentioned testing me for celiac's.

So my question is can pregnancy bring on this kind of constant symptoms I'm experiencing? This baby has been craving carbs so I have been eating tons of bread and pasta.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AJ Leigh Rookie

You may have been experiencing celiac symptoms without even realizing it for years! Unfortunately celiac can be dormant for a long time. When I was 16 I contracted a very bad virus, and ever since then I've been experiencing severe celiac symptoms. Before then I had a lot of health problems, like allergies, lactose intolerance, supposed IBS, which now I realize were probably the beginning signs of celiac. Have you had a lot of seemingly unrelated health issues?

Is this your first pregnancy? It would be very wise to have your baby tested when they are born because celiac tends to run in the family. If you have even the slightest worry that you may have it I would get tested ASAP. It could save you a lot of worthless, time consuming doctors visits.

I wish you and your baby the best of luck!.

cheezewhiz24 Newbie

You may have been experiencing celiac symptoms without even realizing it for years! Unfortunately celiac can be dormant for a long time. When I was 16 I contracted a very bad virus, and ever since then I've been experiencing severe celiac symptoms. Before then I had a lot of health problems, like allergies, lactose intolerance, supposed IBS, which now I realize were probably the beginning signs of celiac. Have you had a lot of seemingly unrelated health issues?

Is this your first pregnancy? It would be very wise to have your baby tested when they are born because celiac tends to run in the family. If you have even the slightest worry that you may have it I would get tested ASAP. It could save you a lot of worthless, time consuming doctors visits.

I wish you and your baby the best of luck!.

I have had a lot of digestive problems- I was on a special formula, very colicky, eventually on Lactaid, got a horrible virus at 2 that was diahrrea for a summer- all my mom fed me was applesauce and plain yogurt. I have always struggled with abdominal pain, cramping, gas and painful poop but was doing much better with a probiotic. I've also had problems with anemia when not pregnant and while pregnant. As to pregnancy, I had an early miscarriage in 07, delivered healthy twin boys in 09 and am pregnant again. With my twins I had severe heartburn which I found complete relief with a calcium/magnesium supplement. I'm taking it again for heartburn. I was constipated prior to this problem but handling it better with dietary changes and when I could stop taking iron supplements.

samie Contributor

Yes pregnancy can cause celiac symptoms.that's what I was told. I had symptoms for years but it got worse after I had my 3 child. Anemia and miscarriages can be symptoms of celiac. Those two I had. you should find a gasteroligist if you want the tests done to confirm it.

DB12 Newbie

My gastroenterologist told me that many of the women she sees for celiac are triggered by pregnancy. Any event that challenges your immune system can bring on full-blown celiac. I had some symptoms for years that were diagnosed as IBS (horrible stomach pains, vomiting, nausea, vertigo) but only got my celiac diagnosis when a broken ankle and multiple surgeries triggered full-blown issues (lost 10 pounds in a month). Get tested, and if you have celiac (or possibly a wheat/gluten allergy), then switch to quinoa pasta for your carbs, it is yummy! good luck.

Archived