bbdailey

Muscle Spasms And Magnesium?

Rate this topic

I have had muscle spasms for a while now but now they seem to be primarily right under my sternum. They are happening almost all the time basically everyday. They are very annoying because they are so close to the heart so something about that seems to make it more uncomfortable. I just started taking 200 magnesium starting yesterday. Should the magnesium solve this problem? Also does anybody know how long it takes for the magnesium to start to work?(I figured it would be almost immediately but the spasms are still kickin)

are you sure it's muscle spasm and not acid reflux or hiatal hernia? Just by the area where you say it is primarily makes me wonder.

200mg might be too much, it might not be enough. Everyone is different. In large doses though, magnesium can cause diarrhea, so be careful.

If it is muscle spasm, you may also need to manage all your electrolytes, not just magnesium. You should also make sure you're getting adequate potassium and sodium.

I don't know how long it takes to work. But also consider calcium and potassium as potentially interfering with muscle function. All these levels have to be in balance. I had muscle problems including difficulty contracting my muscles and also had heart palpitations before I knew about Celiac. Supplementing helped. It went away slowly but surely. I don't know but the vitamin deficiencies seemed to effect both my voluntary and involuntary muscles. It stands to reason. Maybe others will post with their experiences too.

When I began magnesium for muscle pain (not really spasms) and fibromyalgia I was told by my chronic pain management doctor to take at least 900 mg per day (gradually to avoid D). He said to make sure it is magnesium glycinate as it is so highly absorbed compared to most which is crucial for those of us with celiac. It helps with my restless leg syndrome at night a great deal.

However, as the above poster mentioned, I would try to figure out exactly what is causing this discomfort and rule out other things.