margotb

Gluten In Drugs--How To Evaluate

Rate this topic

Hi!

I am having anxiety and needing to sleep more. I was tasked by my doctor to root out unsuspecting places where gluten could be hiding. I thought my Ambien equivalent Zolpidem might be where I got glutened. I called and they told me while they do not certify their drugs as gluten-free and have no information about the production facility, no gluten ingredients are used. So is this enough to consider a drug safe? I feel really confused about how to evaluate whether drugs are really gluten-free especially since no law governs this.

Would you take it? How do you evaluate drugs?

Thanks!

Many places don't want to certify their products gluten free because that is considered a legal statement and they want to cover their butts. So it depends on how sensitive you personally, are. For me I consider a medication safe for me if it is one, medically needed and has no gluten ingredients. But I do not react to foods that are made in the same facility as gluten so I figure it is worth it.

However, has your doctor looking into your symptoms being side effects of the ambien not symptoms of being glutened? I had to stop ambien due to increased anxiety. And I know that all prescription sleep aids have the side effect of excessive sleepiness/drowsiness. It is possible to develop side effects while on a medication even if the side effects were not present initially.

Is your anxiety what is keeping you from sleeping? If that is the case you might do better with a low dose of an antianxiety med rather than a sleep aid. I have anxiety and use a minimal dose of alprazolam, the generic form of Xanax. The generic made by Sandoz is safe but name brand Xanax wasn't last time I checked.