This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Interesting Place In Chinatown (Nyc)

pshifrin

pshifrin Apprentice

Went to an interesting place in NYC today. One of our party keeps Kosher and I'm gluten-free of course so we had to find a combo. Buddha Bodai is a 100% vegetarian and mostly vegan Chinese Restaurant right in the heart of Chinatown. They make their own fake meats using Wheat Gluten as a substitute for "pork" but tofu and mushrooms for "chicken". Surprisingly for a restaurant that lists menu many items literally WITH gluten, they have an great gluten-free menu. A few soups, apps and about 20 entrees.

I had the gluten-free chicken corn soup, cedar fried rice (very unusual but good flavor) and some rice/bean noodle thing with satay sauce and "chicken".

To see the gluten-free menu (slightly different than what I handed in person) click on the online ordering system. The menu link doesn't have their gluten-free menu.

Note that this place is not your typical Americanized Chinese restaurant. Expect to try some unusual dishes.

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lucia Enthusiast

I love this place too. It's one of the few places I can eat in Chinatown (the other notable place being "Hong Kong Station" on Bayard). The food is kind of heavy for my taste these days, but very much in line with traditional Cantonese Dim Sum. Besides the food, it's fun for the odd mix of people it attracts with its unusual menu - from pierced, nineteen-year old vegans to middle-aged tourists with gluten intolerances to orthodox Jews in traditional dress. So very New York!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com:
    Donate

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17-M):

• Recent Activity

1. - Bayb replied to Bayb's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Trying to read my lab results

2. - Aussienae replied to Aussienae's topic in Coping with Celiac Disease

Constant low back, abdominal and pelvic pain!

3. - trents replied to mishyj's topic in Coping with Celiac Disease

Why?

4. - trents replied to mishyj's topic in Coping with Celiac Disease

Why?

5. - mishyj replied to mishyj's topic in Coping with Celiac Disease

Why?

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

lortaine
    Newest Member
    lortaine
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Bayb
      Hi Scott, yes I have had symptoms for years and this is the second GI I have seen and he could not believe I have never been tested. He called later today and I am scheduled for an endoscopy. Is there a way to tell how severe my potential celiac is from the results above? What are the chances I will have the biopsy and come back negative and we have to keep searching for a cause? 
    • Aussienae
      I agree christina, there is definitely many contributing factors! I have the pain today, my pelvis, hips and thighs ache! No idea why. But i have been sitting at work for 3 days so im thinking its my back. This disease is very mysterious (and frustrating) but not always to blame for every pain. 
    • trents
      "her stool study showed she had extreme reactions to everything achievement on it long course of microbials to treat that." The wording of this part of the sentence does not make any sense at all. I don't mean to insult you, but is English your first language? This part of the sentence sounds like it was generated by translation software.
    • trents
      What kind of stool test was done? Can you be more specific? 
    • mishyj
      Perhaps I should also have said that in addition to showing a very high response to gluten, her stool study showed that she had extreme reactions to everything achievement on it long course of microbials to treat that.