This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Right Upper Quadrant Pain

newceliac

newceliac Enthusiast

I haven't posted in a while...but I hope someone can you me some information. For about 3 days, I have been having right upper quadrant pain. It runs along the rib cage starting about 2 inches about belly button and down to bottom of rib cage on right side. The pain hurts underneath the rib cage also and seems to travel around to the back. It feel like something pressing on my ribs and almost feels like a burning pain at times. Intermitently when having this pain, I feel like I have lower abdomen cramping. I also randomly feel like there is muscle twitching in this area at lower rib cage. I don't really have nausea. The pain is similar to the gallbladder pain I had years ago, however my gallbladder has been removed. I went on a weekend vacation this past weekend in New Orleans. Although, I thoroughly discussed my gluten intolerance and they assured the food was gluten free, I know I am at their mercy when dining out. Could this pain be from possibly ingesting gluten? Has anyone ever experienced this pain? It is really starting to get on my nerves because I don't know what is causing it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Brenda Sue Newbie

Hi, this how my daughter was diagnosed with celiac disease. She had bad upper right quadrant pain so maybe you were glutened. Hope you feel better soon :)

CR5442 Contributor

It could also be lack of CCK in the small intestine due to atrophy. This will prevent gallbladder contraction and opening of the sphincter of oddi. It is a functional problem I am having treated with acupuncture at the moment. It will fix when your gut is healed, till then it is a matter of trying to encourage this process without the CCK. I tried herbs but am sensitive to most of them - but they did work. Dandelion Root, Turmeric, Peppermint are all good for this. Try to lie back slightly leaning over to your left side after eating, preferably with a warm tea with a cholagogue/choleretic in it... any of the above. I used 2-3 drops of Peppermint EO for a while but it is high in salicylates, which I am also sensitive to. Let me know if you want more info. on this.

Archived