RGDenver

Casein In Butter In Pamelas Cookies

Rate this topic

I recently thru a blood test found out that I'm intolerant to Casein, Cottage Cheese, Cow & Goat Milk, Whey & Yogurt. I'm ok for Cheddar Cheese and Mozzarella Cheese. I also tested positive for Egg Whites, Almonds, Gluten and Baker & Brewers Yeast. The dairy component says nothing about butter. I purchased some Pecan Shortbread cookies, because it was one of the few products without eggs and almonds and yeast. But now I am realizing it contains butter. Should I be concerned? The allergy list from my tests says nothing about butter......should I eat them or not ?

Same question about Udies Choclate Muffins.....they contain eggs.....since I'm only intolerant to the whites and not the yolks, is it safe to eat or not?

Thanks for any help!

That test makes no sense. If you are intolerant to casein, you can't have cheese - cheddar, mozzarella, or otherwise. Casein is a large part of cheese....

The butter question is more complicated.

Butter is milk fat. The only reason it has casein in it is that it takes a lot of effort to remove all the protein/carbs from milk to get *just* the fat. (Ghee, clarified butter, has done just that, though I do not know to what tolerance level.) So, it may have casein, but a very, very, very small amount. For some people, that small of an amount is alright (I'm not talking about gluten intolerance/celiac at all here), for some it may not be. For you? Only you can tell.

If something contains eggs, you have to assume they contain the egg yolk and egg white (or they would tell you). So, if you're avoiding egg whites, you'd have to avoid anything with whole egg too.

Hi, and welcome.

Butter is dairy. If you are intolerant to casein (milk protein) you must avoid butter. In some cases, ghee (claried butter) is tolerated.

Dairy issues involve casein, as mentioned above, and lactose. Lactose is the sugar in milk. In order for you to digest it, the enzyme lactase is required. Lactase is produced in the tips of the villi--the same part of the small intestine that is damaged by celiac disease.

As a result, many recovering from celiac disease experience lactose intolerance while the villi heal. This process may take several months or more. Once the villi are healed, it may be possible to reintroduce lactose into the diet. If you have an intolerance to casein, it is likely permanent.

Edited by psawyer
Tiffany and I were both posting at the same time.