This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Wheat And Corn Allergy!

wellsfamily

wellsfamily Newbie

I posted a week ago or so while I was waiting for my biopsy results to come back. I am negative for celiac, but felt great gluten free and also had my Antigliadin IGG come back positive. So, I went to my allergist and I have a major wheat and corn allergy. Between the two I feel like there is not a whole lot I can eat. As you know, so much gluten free stuff has corn starch or other corn derivative as a filler. Anyone have any advise or suggestions? I don't want to be on Atkins forever ;)

• 1 month later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

aprilh Apprentice

Wellsfamily,

I know this is an old post but no one else responded.

Gluten free products do contain corn in a lot of cases. We are gluten-free, CF, SF and DF. And the ones I have found that I enjoy are Sami's bakery millet and flax bread. You might be able to get your healthfood store to carry this. Also, Anna's bread mix is very good. I just ordered a huge lot of it and made it in the oven yesterday as opposed to the bread machine. I have tried Anna's pumpkin bread and banana bread too and found it to be good.

Corn is very high in mold and that is why a lot of people are allergic. Even though I don't react to corn like I used to, I try to avoid it just because of its mold content and the fact that most corn is now a GMO food.

www.123glutenfree.com has AWESOME brownie and cake mixes. These taste just like gluten containing foods. I have served them at our family get togethers and no one notices.

Namaste has a great pancake mix. I use almond milk and I use the Earth Balance dairy free butter to put on top. YUM! Their pizza dough mix is good too.

I get cereals for my kids that are made from rice. I am always very careful to not choose anything with corn. I have been unable to find pretzels that didn't contain corn. So I don't buy them much.

Good luck!

April

• 2 months later...
stephk21 Newbie

[size=2]I also don't have Celiac's but I am allergic to wheat and corn. It is such a pain as not a lot of people are allergic to both. Does anyone have any helpful hints? Because of my good allergies I have also developed hypoglycemia! It would be great to connect with some others in the same situation...Let me know if you are out there!

AliB Enthusiast

I used to suffer with hyperinsulism and hypoglycemia for years before I became diabetic. The fact you get hypos may be an indicator that, like me, you are actually carbohydrate intolerant.

You may not be Celiac but that doesn't mean that you aren't gluten and carbohydrate intolerant and the 'allergic' reactions may be due to Leaky Gut Syndrome and bacterial overgrowth, which the carbs will encourage.

Any damage to the gut will inhibit complete digestion of the more complex carbs like sugar, lactose (dairy), grains and starches. The incomplete digestion in turn means that the bacteria has more to feed on which encourages overgrowth and an imbalance in the gut flora. The bacterial overgrowth causes other physical and/or mental problems and can also inhibit gut restoration. It is a vicious cycle, but carbohydrates are at the root of it all.

I have been gluten, dairy, sugar and virtually carb free for 2 months now. I eat good unprocessed meat, fish and poultry. The only carbs I have are the simple ones in fresh fruit and veg and a little honey and nuts. And I drink plenty of water. This simple diet is giving my digestion the best support to get better and already I am able to eat a few foods, like eggs, that I couldn't cope with a few weeks ago.

You may be annoyed at having to drop both gluten and corn, but it might actually be the best thing you can do for a while to give your body a good chance to heal quicker. Actually, if these foods are antagonists then all you do is end up delaying the healing process which is even more frustrating.

Atkins is not a bad eating plan - but low-carb is better than the higher protein Atkins promotes. We are all different and some thrive on plenty of protein but not all, however we would all benefit from eating less carbohydrate, particularly sugar. Better to have some protein and swap the carbs for fruit and veggies which are full of nutrients.

There are some good sweet recipes out there - I make a mean Almond cake with ground almonds, eggs and honey, so it doesn't have to be bland and boring.

• 1 year later...
totmom Newbie
[size=2]I also don't have Celiac's but I am allergic to wheat and corn. It is such a pain as not a lot of people are allergic to both. Does anyone have any helpful hints? Because of my good allergies I have also developed hypoglycemia! It would be great to connect with some others in the same situation...Let me know if you are out there!

I just found out that mt 21 month old is allergic to corn and wheat (among other things). I have also found that corn and wheat are in EVERYTHING,, I feal like I am starving him. He is also allergic to tomatoes, my husband is Italian and my son (little italian boy) can't have pasta and sauce. my son doesn't like the gluten free pasta (I don't blame him). If you know of any good manufactures that I can get good food that does not contain corn or wheat, let me know. He is the youngest of 4 and this is all new to me. Noone in my family nor my husband's family has food allergies.

julirama723 Contributor

Slight thread-jack here, but I've just got to clarify...

Atkins isn't high-protein, it's high-fat. Only 30% of your daily calories come from protein, though optimum intake might be closer to 25% (for best weight loss.)

Archived