Gluten-Free Banana Pecans Muffin (Banana Nut Bread Option)
I am a mother of 3 younger children. Two of my children, Kimimae and Isaac have food allergies. Kimi has very severe allergy, she is allergic to dairy, egg, chicken, all nuts and all seafood. And my son, Isaac is allergic to all nuts. Recently, my husband has been diagnosed with celiac disease. I have recently just started a blog, http://silkiecook.blogspot.com to provide recipes for people living with allergy.View all articles by Silka Burgoyne
Preparation time: 15 minutes.
Bake time for muffins: 20 - 24 minutes
Bake time for bread: 1 hr - 1 hr 10 minutes
Makes 2 dozen muffins or 1 loaf of banana bread
Note: When using the same batter for banana bread, the top does get bread brown quite easily; however, it is extremely moist inside.
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature or 1/2 cup of oil
- 2/3 cup of granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs*
- 1 ½ cup of Silkie flour mix (1/3 cup each of brown rice flour, white rice flour, tapioca flour, ¼ cup each of corn starch, 1/8 cup each of sorghum flour and potato starch)
- 1 ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of kosher salt
- ½ cup of sour cream
- 1 teaspoon of GF vanilla extract
- 1 cup of mashed rip bananas (3 medium size)
- ½ cup of chopped pecans or walnuts
- Cinnamon sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375, for muffins, apply paper liner or spray oil to the muffins tin; for bread, use butter or oil spray to gease a 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan; set aside.
- In an electric mixer, cream butter or oil, and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and beat to blend.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together silkie flour mix, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add to the butter mixture and mix until the ingredients combined.
- Add bananas, sour cream, and vanilla; mix to combine. Stir in nuts.
- For Muffin, fill each muffins tin abut 2/3 full and sprinkle some cinnamon sugar on top of the batter. Bake the muffin until golden brown on top. It should take about 20 - 24 minutes depending on the oven.
- For bread, pour the batter and fill the prepared loaf pan. Bake the bread for 1 hrs to 1 hr 10 mins until the bread is cooked. Note: the bread does get brown easily, so cover the top with foil after 20 mins of baking.
- Let the muffins and bread rest for 10 minutes before transferring them to a rack to cool.
As always, Celiac.com welcomes your comments (see below).