- Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)
- Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)
- Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free
- Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results
- Is Buckwheat Flour Really Gluten-Free?
Chocolatey Peanut Butter Crispy Rice Treats (Gluten-Free)
I diagnosed myself for gluten intolerance after a lifetime of bizarre, seemingly unrelated afflictions. If my doctors had their way, I would have already undergone neck surgery, still be on 3 different inhalers for asthma, be vomiting daily and having chronic panic attacks. However, since eliminating gluten from my diet in May 2009, I no longer suffer from any of those things. Even with the proof in the pudding (or gluten) my doctors now want me to ingest gluten to test for celiac-no can do.View all articles by Destiny Stone
Here is a fancy twist to the ever popular rice crispy treats. Using gluten-free ingredients, and adding in some chocolate and peanut butter, this is a dessert that you will have to hide from gluten eaters. Sure to be a hit, these chocolatey peanut-butter crispy rice treats are a yummy snack that you can add to your kids lunches, take on an outing or freeze for a later date.
Chocolatey Peanut-Butter Crispy Rice Treats (Gluten-Free)
- 3 Tablespoons butter or butter substitute
- 1 (10 oz) bag gluten-free marshmallows
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla extract
- 1/5 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup gluten-free peanut butter
- 5 cups gluten free crispy rice cereal
- 1 cup gluten-free chocolate chips (optional)
- Grease an 8×8 square glass pan.
- Melt the butter in a large pan or dutch oven over low heat. Add the marshmallows, vanilla, salt and peanut butter, stirring constantly until melted and smooth; this takes several minutes.
- Remove from heat and add cereal, stirring until well mixed. Scrape the mixture into the prepared pan and press it into the pan with a greased spatula (or you can place a piece of waxed paper over it and press down).
- If you want to add a chocolate coating on top of your crispy rice treats, place chocolate chips in small, microwave-safe bowl and heat in 30 second intervals until melted; stirring as needed.
- Spread melted chocolate over the bars and allow to set completely, about 2 hours at room temperature ( you can also place them in the refrigerator or freezer to speed up this process).
- Cut bars into squares and serve.
Celiac.com welcomes your comments below (registration is NOT required).