Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Elemental Diet To Heal A Leaky Gut

6 posts in this topic

At the moment I am in pretty tight situation, where I have developed allergies to all foods I have been eating, even while following a strict 4 day rotation diet. I assume I have a really severe case of leaky gut, which could explain why this is happening.

Working with my doc, I have just taken the Lactulose/Mannitol intestinal permeability test, and I am hoping the results will confirm that I do indeed have a very leaky gut.

Something I have been thinking about, is the usage of an elemental diet to enable the gut to heal, while avoiding possible allergens.

I came across this study, which documents how an elemental diet for six weeks, brought about marked improvements in intestinal permeability in all of the test patients. In fact, 7 out of the 14 patients had normal permeability range after the six weeks of elemental-diet treatment. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1433221

In light of this, I plan to discuss this approach with my doc and see what he thinks. It seems to me that this can be a viable approach to heal the gut, after-which new foods can be eaten without further allergies being developed.

An obvious downside to an elemental diet would be the cost, which is very high. Nevertheless, if this could work then it would be well worth it.

Thoughts?

Ads by Google:

Hello yes this is the normal way to go about healing the gut. I haven't done a full elemental diet as far as only vege juice and amino acids go but I have been following a basic version of the SCD diet and it's working for me. I'm taking a bulk ton of probiotics and I'm cheating a bit and taking Zytec to get my anti body levels down. I've actually dropped my IgE from 4100 to 1900 already so it's working very well so far. If you want to see what Mannitol does eat sweet potato only for a few days OMG it almost killed me.

Can't stress enough how important it is to master probiotics, grow them when and where ever you can. You want to do 1 or 2 litres of some kind of yogurt per day, it just sooths the gut lining so well, do soy if you cant tolerate dairy or do (anything) if you can't tolerate something, but do find something to grow them in.

Posted (edited)

Sorry, I don't know if I just downvoted your post by accident - I just made an account to reply to you! I know you posted this three years ago, so I'm curious about where you are now. I saw a more recent post that said you are able to eat all the foods you were previously sensitive to! I am on the elemental diet right now because I'm trying to get rid of SIBO, which has been causing craaaazy leaky gut and new food reactions to arise rapidly over the last year. I can hardly eat anything anymore. What did you end up doing to heal? I have been on the Autoimmune Protocol since February but continue to lose foods, which is why I think I have SIBO. Hoping that after the elemental AIP will actually start to heal me....

Edited by K_la

Hi. What I ended up doing was as follows: 

I Began a 4 day rotation diet, with an emphasis on keeping the protein content low. More specifically, For each food on the rotation diet, I limited the protein content to 15 - 20 grams (See here for why). As it turned out, I was still reacting to some of the foods on my rotation diet. But since I was rotating my foods, and thus not experiencing symptoms constantly, I was able to better identify which foods specifically where triggering the symptoms and remove them.

The basic approach was this:

1. Identify which foods you are currently reacting to, and eliminate them from your diet.
  2. Using new foods which you can still tolerate, begin a four day rotation diet. The purpose of this to prevent further sensitivities from developing to the new foods you are eating.
  3. Once the symptoms have receded for a while, and you are not reacting to the foods in your diet, you can discontinue the rotation diet, while still avoiding the foods that you previously reacted to.
  4. Over time, by avoiding the problematic foods for long enough, eventually the immune system will "forget" them, and you will be able to tolerate them again. In my case this took 1-2 years of avoidance.

That's what worked for me. Back then I thought I may never be able to eat many foods again. But I was pleasantly surprised to discover that after a long period of avoidance, I can now tolerate those foods again. Though I still avoid gluten, since I suspect that's what caused the initial problems.

For reference, here are the symptoms I would experience after reacting to a food:

• Brain Fog
  • Sweating
  • Muscle Twitching
  • Blurred vision
  • Burping/bloating & stomach pain.
  • Sinus pressure.
  • Intense irritation & depression.

I cured my gut in the end too. I'll never cure from the secondary condition but gut wise I'm fine. I no longer eat carbs, well.. Not many. For me that provides enough natual immune suppression to let the gut heal. I have the opinion that grains with gluten highlighted and sugar with fructose highlighted is killing you all. In the end rather than ingest bacteria I forced a change in species survival by not eating carbs, easy. No more white tongue no more small intestine pain etc. My IgE level has dropped from 4200 to 220. All clonal cells and abnormal cells in my blood work are resolved and my kidney function improved back to normal. I'm not posting here anymore because I disagree with too many people. But just take that on board and good luck, try to imagine what foods you could find left to fend by yourself in nature during Winter in Europe. Eat and sleep like that, that's exactly what your immune system is built for and all you need to know.

1 hour ago, foam said:

I cured my gut in the end too. I'll never cure from the secondary condition but gut wise I'm fine. I no longer eat carbs, well.. Not many. For me that provides enough natual immune suppression to let the gut heal. I have the opinion that grains with gluten highlighted and sugar with fructose highlighted is killing you all. In the end rather than ingest bacteria I forced a change in species survival by not eating carbs, easy. No more white tongue no more small intestine pain etc. My IgE level has dropped from 4200 to 220. All clonal cells and abnormal cells in my blood work are resolved and my kidney function improved back to normal. I'm not posting here anymore because I disagree with too many people. But just take that on board and good luck, try to imagine what foods you could find left to fend by yourself in nature during Winter in Europe. Eat and sleep like that, that's exactly what your immune system is built for and all you need to know.

Foam,

I am glad that you are doing well!  

After one year of being gluten free and still following the Standard American Diet (SAD), I was feeling better but not great.  Then I got my diabetes diagnosis.  I went grain free, cut the carbs (because any carb can raise blood sugar per my meter)  and I consume lots of dairy (mainly plain yogurt), fats, proteins and lots of "above ground" veggies.  Not only did I bring down my glucose levels, I felt great!  I've been doing this diet (Low Carb, High Fat) for two years.  My doctor just tells me to keep doing what I'm doing (though she still has that dumb photo of brown rice, lean white chicken and plain broccoli on hanging on the wall promoting the ADA diet)!  

I think our SAD is contributing to our poor health!