4 replies to this topic

#1 ndw3363

ndw3363

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:21 PM

I've seen a couple of posts in the past from newbies being concerned about dating and the gluten-free lifestyle.  I've been doing a lot of dating lately (online dating is both a good AND bad thing), but what I've found is that talking about living a gluten-free lifestyle is a great way to gauge supportiveness.  Example, some first dates I've had will suggest a restaurant and I'll politely tell them that I would rather meet at X or Y bc I can safely eat there due to my gluten intolerance.  Some are happy to oblige while other's sound put off by it.  I had one do research and HE introduced me to a new restaurant that I didn't even know about!  Most recently I had two first dates in the same week (pressure...don't mix them up!!) :-)  The one when he found out was full of questions and was eager to learn.  Said he'd read that so many people have been able to rid themselves of so many symptoms bc of going gluten-free and was interested in my story.  The other, acted like I was terminal.  He couldn't BELIEVE I could live this way...I mean it just SUCKS SO BAD!!!  Hahaha - one guess which guy got the second date ;-)

All I'm saying, is that yes, dating when gluten-free can be a pain bc it does mean we have to speak up and give the guy some suggestions on good places to go.  But it can also show you who is interested in getting to know you and to be cognizant of your issue versus those that simply can't fathom a life without their favorites.

Happy Dating everyone! :-)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:21 PM

As our member Skylark used to say (and I LOVE this)

" having celiac comes with a built-in jerkometer" :lol:

If the guy/girl cannot accept you for who you are (and what you eat) they are not worthy of you.

Happy dating!

P.S. Have you looked at Find Me Gluten Free? great resource!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 srall

srall

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:08 PM

I love your perspective.  I've been with my husband for several years now, but I often wonder how I would have navigated dating with all the frees (gluten/dairy/corn/soy/oxalates oh my)    

I do however worry about my 10 year old.  i realize she is at least 6 to 20 years from dating (if I had my way) but I really think about her not being able to go out for pizza, or going out to eat without breaking the bank when you are a poor college student.  

I just love your attitude.  And it's so true about the jerk-o-meter.  We had a waiter a few weeks ago who definitely was annoyed at our dietary needs.  We were traveling and chose a very expensive restaurant thinking we'd be better taken care of and the waiter actually said, "Oh...you're one of THOSE"  Then proceeded to tell me how he'd die without bread...well, you know the rest.

Happy dating.  That first guy sounds wonderful!

#4 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:55 PM

I do however worry about my 10 year old. i realize she is at least 6 to 20 years from dating...

Ha! Made me laugh out loud.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#5 Brandiwine

Brandiwine

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:53 PM

I had to call off my date tonight, was glutened at a Mexican resturant at lunch (my own fault I knew I was taking a chance was just so hungry and didnt want to watch everyone else eat, thought I was clear to the waiter) now I'm stuck on the coach with stomach pains and a headache :(
Vegan, Gluten Free diet, sensitivity to onions, soy, allergic to Cinnamon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: