Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Has Anyone Had Diagnosed Dh That Resembles Acne On The Face/chest/back?

4 posts in this topic

I'm wondering because the primary symptom that first started me on my explorations of health, nutrition, the body, and holistic wellness was a sudden outbreak of acne at age 19 that increasingly got worse and worse and worse as time went on.

I distinctly remember the whole thing beginning with my face becoming extremely oily, far more than what would be considered normal for anyone at any age. Then I got one VERY, very painful "pimple" at the edge of my eyebrow toward my nose. From that, came another...then another...and so on...and then, at age 19, I suddenly had full-blown acne, though I'd had perfectly clear skin for my entire life before. Over the years, it became more and more cystic, and my face took on a constant red flush. My face was also constantly itchy. 

I'm wondering if this could be at all related to DH, particularly because most of the time these breakouts were along my hairline, and if bothered, never came to a head. Only HURT or seeped a clear liquid. And the spots that were not along my hairline were on my cheeks, and were symmetrical on both sides of my face. (When I would have two spots on the left cheek, there would generally be two spots on my right cheek, exactly mirrored.) 

No acne creams worked, cutting dairy didn't work...nothing worked, for years, until I stopped eating gluten at age 24. My skin, quite remarkably, stopped breaking out immediately, and now is completely healed. 

Has anyone else had a similar experience, and could it be DH related? I seem to remember reading somewhere that auto-immune related acne tends to take on symmetrical patterning. 

Ads by Google:

There are many skin conditions related to celiac disease that resolve once gluten free. I can't answer your question as I never had an acne problem thankfully.

Sorry, never had acne either.  My rash initially presented on my scalp and feet.  

I have actually, but I am extremely gluten sensitive now that I've been diagnosed and finally cut gluten out of my life. If I get cross-contamination at all now, we are talking huge patches of painful blisters and my face and entire scalp full of bleeding blisters. Up until the diagnosis I was getting what I thought was "strange acne" starting around my nose and mouth and sometimes my hairline. If I was stressed maybe my neck by my lymph glands. They hurt, they would ooze, they would NEVER heal. Within the first week of my gluten free diet they diminished with my scaly patches and the big blistery rashes I had. Now, they reappear every time I am exposed. After taking a closer look one day I realized they are actually more like isolated blisters than acne. I occasionally use a prescription antibiotic on my face. It has been helpful. (Accidental miracle :) )

I hope that helps a bit.