Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Quick Breakfast Ideas, Out Of The House?

5 posts in this topic

Hi - I've been doing very well on my gluten free diet since my dx in early March.  

The only thing I haven't quite figured out are more breakfast ideas.  I used to grab a quick egg/turkey bacon on a bagel or english muffin in the morning at the local deli.  It's not really possible for me to eat at home before getting the kids ready for school and out the door, and I really enjoy having breakfast and coffee at my desk to start the day.

I've been getting the egg/quinoa/avocado pots at Pret A Manger, a single serving of Rice Chex, or fruit, but it's getting kind of old.  The guy at one of my delis is very good about cleaning the grill first, etc., but it always feels risky to me to get eggs out, and besides, I really miss the sandwich part.

I have access to a microwave and a fridge.

Can anyone suggest any good, quick ideas?

Ads by Google:

I hate to break it to you, but breakfast (especially a fast one) is the toughest meal of the day, IMO.

I suggest a morning of preassembling your own bagel/egg sandwiches and freeze them - and take one to work and nuke it. I also suggest boiling a few eggs, a few prepacked containers of salsa or guac...get the idea? Prep ahead.

You could also make a really nice, homemade oatmeal and then nuke it at work. Oatmeal stands up well to being reheated. And you can top it with all sorts of delicious options.

Smoothies take a few mins if you've a bullet type blender... a banana, handful of frozen berries plus any other fruit/veg you fancy mixed with either flavoured water, almond milk etc and I sometimes add protein powder.

Or, Nairns gluten free biscuit breaks oats & fruit or any other gluten-free bars or you can make your own granola bars.

Ohhhh my daughter just gave me this wonderful breakfast bar recipe 

• Homemade Cliff Bars (no bake!)
  • There is plenty of room for variation here, so let your mind and tastebuds run wild. I have a few variation ideas to get you started. And yes, you can definitely double this recipe and press into a 13×9-inch pan insteads of an 8-inch pan.
  • 1 and ¼ cups crisp rice cereal (e.g., I like Erwhon Crisp Brown, but Rice Krispies are fine)
  • 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking oats
  • 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed (flaxseed meal)1/4 cup finely chopped dried fruit (e.g., raisins, dried cranberries, dried cherries, etc.)
  • ¼ cup finely chopped nuts or seeds (pepitas are great)
  • ⅓ cup honey, maple syrup or brown rice syrup
  • ½ cup nut or seed butter of your choice (e.g., peanut butter, almond butter, sunflower seed butter)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Optional: ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon

Instructions
  1. Combine the rice cereal, oats, flaxseed meal, dried fruit, and nuts in a large bowl.
  2. Combine the syrup and nut butter in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring until melted and well-blended (alternatively microwave in small microwave-safe bowl 30-60 seconds until melted). Stir in vanilla until blended.
  3. Pour nut butter mixture over cereal mixture, stirring until coated (use a wooden spoon at first, then get your hands in it. It will be sticky, but this way you can really coat everything. Just scrape off your hands when you’re done).
  4. Press mixture firmly into an 8-inch square pan (sprayed with nonstick cooking spray) using a large square of wax paper (really tamp it down).
  5. Cool in pan on a wire rack, then chill at least 30 minutes to help it set.
  6. Cut into 12 bars. (Wrap bars tightly in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator).