2 replies to this topic

#1 Nicolette

Nicolette

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 08:17 AM

Watched a program on Discovery Home and Health today, called "Come Dine With Me". I've been watching it because one of the guests was a Coeliac and so all the contestants have had to cater for his requirements when they cook their meal of choice. (The premise is that each of them are strangers and each night, they each take a turn to entertain and cook a meal and whoever does it the best wins a thousand pounds)
So today, it was this woman's turn and she knew that the man, Craig, had Coeliacs, but as she was shopping for ingredients, turned to the camera and said "I know he's coeliac, but I'm afraid he's going to have to stay quiet and suffer in silence, isn't he?"
I couldn't believe it!
Eventually, she served up crostinis for entrees, potted shrimp on toast for a first course, chicken pie (made with normal flour and meatballs inside made with breadcrumbs) for a main course and a chocolate dessert served on crushed digestive biscuits.
I really felt for him. He hardly got a thing to eat and had to eat a few vegetables that were served as side dishes and picked his way around the other stuff, trying to avoid cross-contamination.
But the icing on the cake was that at the end, each guest has to give a score out of ten to the host and he gave her a seven!

Well, excuuuuuuse me! But if i went to someone's house and they deliberately had a like it or lump it attitude to my requirements, I would have left and i certainly wouldn't have given them a seven out of ten!

Nicolette
Diagnosed with celiac disease via blood test September 2005.
gluten-free since September 2005
Diagnosed Rheumatoid Arthritis Aug 2004
Diagnosed early osteoporosis Aug 2004

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 01:00 PM

I think he was just dealing with her in a civil way and grading what he could eat. How mean of her, though.

#3 fisharefriendsnotfood

fisharefriendsnotfood

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 01:55 PM

That's terrible! I would have given her a one.
14 years old
Diagnosed with celiac disease in 1993
Totally gluten-free since 1993

"All there is in life is wheat...Oh, wheat! Lots of wheat! Fields of wheat! A tremendous amount of wheat! Yellow wheat. Red wheat. Wheat with feathers. Cream of wheat!" - Woody Allen, Love and Death

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: